Nixa was officially incorporated as a village on June 10, 1902. This book looks at the people and history of Nixa and the surrounding rural Christian County communities of Sparta, Billings, Linden, Clever, Highlandville, and the rural area around Bull Creek. The area was originally known as "Faughts," for James Jasper Faughts, who had operated a trading post at the old "Crossroads" site in 1879. It linked the burgeoning settlement of Nixa to other communities in the area. Nicholas Alexander Inman came from Tennessee in 1852 and opened a blacksmith shop with Joe Weaver. Inman's family farm consisted of 160 acres, which are part of the present day boundaries of Nixa. As the population grew, settlers and businesses arose in the area of the Crossroads site (now Main Street and Highway 14). A town meeting was called to order and it was suggested the town be named "Nix," which sounds like nichts, the German word for nothing. Another suggestion was made to add Inman's middle initial, "A." And so the rural community of Nixa was born.