398/86, Mu Ban Sai Tong
Surat Thani, Thailand
Well, I've been writing since I got my ABCS down at a somewhat prodigious 4 years old. I also have spoken and written
French, Spanish and Italian when I'm not stuck with the wrong Word program, and can do Internet coding and computer
imploding artwork on Adobe Photoshop. I was brought up in the old school (British public school) with a ruler
over the knuckles for grammer and spellcheck, and can still use a pencil when needed. Polyglot polymath. Currently teaching English and translating everything in Thailand.
Writing to see: fiction and poetry on http://www.stickyourneckout.com
Latest published poem: February 2003, 'Daily Bulletin', Mallorca, Spain. 'Psyco logical' 1st line: Mr. Bush's little war
Here's my resume:
Current: University professor of English, Surat Thani, Thailand. Looking for work elsewhere due to this stupid war situation. Also finishing a translation from the French into English of the published work of the French essayist and philosopher Dr. Christian Ficat. Samples of translationa and writing available on request.
· 1963-67 Lycee Francais, Stockholm, Sweden: Fluent idiomatic written and spoken French. All the usual general subjects.
· 1967-70 Dulwich College Preparatory School, Cranbrook, Kent. All the usual general subjects.
· 1970-75 Benenden School For Girls, Benenden, Kent. Internal Scholarship gained by competitive examination to this exclusive girls public school. 8 'O' levels including Latin, Maths, science and languages.'A' Level French, Spanish, English. Special Level English with Merit.
· 1976-79 Read English Literature at the University of Exeter. After a conventional first year studying everything from Anglo-Saxon to William Faulkner, chose the American and Commonwealth Arts course, writing research projects on modern American poetry, narrative photography and Hollywood Cinema, as well as 19th Century literature and the cartoons of Schultz-"Peanuts." From 1976 I was in receipt of a generous scholarship from the European Commission. Graduated in 1976 with an Upper Second Class Honours Degree in English.
· 1979-82 Studied various subjects in various institutions at home and abroad.
· Still on E.U. Scholarship.
Qualified as a simultaneous commercial and technical translator (French),
acquired pretty fluent Italian and a knowledge of history of art, particularly to do with the Renaissance in Italy.
Acquired secretarial skills. Basic computer programming in Cobol, now obsolete.
· 1992. Graduated from a four week intensive training course at the British Language Centre,
Palma de Mallorca, Spain with a DIPLOMA in teaching English as a foreign language.
· To date have several websites up and running including http://www.arabianights.net
Was first published as a poet in the literary journal, Orbis, the erstwhile journal of
the International Poetry Society alongside John Betjeman, the then Poet Laureate.
Also in the Jubilee edition of Outposts under the heading 'New Writers' alongside such luminaries
as Elizabeth Jennings.
Also the Autumn 1995 edition in English of Bike Market Update, ed. Grace Ruan, Wheel Giant,
Changhua, Taiwan, where I worked for a while as English editor/technical and commercial
re-writer/translator for Latin languages.
I am currently in Mallorca, Spain, living on my sister's estate in the Tramuntana mountains
and coding various websites freelance and for my own pleasure. I AM ALSO WRITING VOLUMINOUSLY.
A book I have written is currently under consideration in the script department of Blacklist Films Inc.,
Hollywood, Los Angeles.
BRIEF WORK HISTORY:
· 1982-87 Worked freelance as a translator and for a small architect's practice in London, as company secretary. Helped win a negligence case in the Queen's Bench Division of the High Court. Did various temporary paralegal and document formatting jobs.
· 1987-90 Worked as the sole in charge at night at the Pembridge Court Hotel, Notting Hill Gate, looking after rock stars and media personalities in the dead hours. This was an all-night receptionist's post with switchboard and 'bouncer' duties, dealing with accounts and the public whilst caring for customers. During the day I did research into 19th Century American Literature at King's College London.
I left for Mallorca. During this time I was published in 'Outposts', Britain's oldest extant poetry journal. Bought an Amstrad PCW8256 computer. Mostly used it to bomb periodicals with copy. Did, however, manage to unravel the operating system enough to find the hidden computer game 'Bacteria'.
· 1990-93 Lived and worked in the Tramuntana Mountains of Mallorca. Some language work, writing as usual, also working on the land. Qualified as an English language teacher in Palma de Mallorca and taught in the local language school on a supply basis. Refs: Robin Danvers-Glasson, Director, Academia de Idiomas Mayfair, Calle Borne, Soller, Mallorca, Baleares, Spain.
· 1994-96 Travelled and worked teaching English and writing in Guatemala, Spain, Sri Lanka, India and Taiwan.
Went around the world to the bicycle industry trade fairs courtesy of Grace Ruan, Wheel Giant, as her English editorial assistant on the 'Bicycle Market Update'.
· 1996-97 Feb-Oct 1996 I was in Mallorca again, writing a series of stories.Alan Samson, editor of Littlebrown rang me up with praise when my agent sent him a copy. Did some freelance teaching.
I work in Microsoft Word for Windows from MY OWN LAPTOP which is useful for preparing teaching materials, quiz sheets, questionnaires, image processing, website editing, etc, etc.
50 wpm typing. Fluent literate French, Spanish, rusty Italian.
Name: Rosemary Charlotte Appleton.
Date of Birth: 12/9/57
Telephone (mobile): (0034) 620434035.
Address: Lista de Correos, Fornalutx, 07109 Mallorca, Baleares, Spain.
Webmail (e-mail from anywhere): email@example.com
Robert Danvers-Glasson, Academia de Idiomas Mayfair, Calle Borne, Soller, Mallorca, Baleares, Spain.
Mrs Ho, Taiwan Language Institute, 50 Roosevelt Road, Taipei, Taiwan.
General-Writing and other work
30 years' experience of ALL forms of writing.
Pembridge Court Hotel: Valerie Gilliatt, Paul Capra (owner), 0171 229 9977, 34 Pembridge Gardens, Notting Hill Gate.
Professor Paul Roche, (ex Gregorian University, Rome)-poet and classical scholar. Calle Ampurias 5, Soller, Mallorca, Baleares, Spain.
Tel/Fax: 0034 71 633808 or U.S. (5 hours behind) 001 540 592 3784
Grace Ruan, Editor, Bicycle Market Update, Wheel Giant, 193 Tze-Chiang Road, Changhua, Taiwan.
Mr. Stephen Boal, General Manager, Foyles Bookshop, 113-119 Charing Cross Road, London WC2 0EB (FAX 0171 434 1574-NO FUNCTIONAL TELEPHONE).
3 years' experience of website coding and design.
Interests: Published poet, literary journals, 1977-90, journalist, here and there, rewriter for Chinese (Taiwan) trade magazine,
children's stories, novel currently going the rounds, also journalism. Available to write about Mallorca, Tibetan issues,
Published writer: Yes