HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: copyright

A Peek

copyright

I have sent my stories in to the copyright office and I was wondering how long should I wait before I send a letter to an agent or publisher? Should I wait to get the certificate back before I send anything out? Oh Lord I know I am new here so take it easy on me. Dame

Verdancy

Re: copyright

No need to wait. Most authors don't register copyright for their work before submission--it's something the publisher handles after the sale. Since you have applied, I wouldn't mention it in your queries. Not a dealbreaker, but tends to be considered the mark of an amateur.

You'll probably hear from other authors here who feel more comfortable registering copyright as soon as they write something, but theft of unpublished manuscripts is very rare. Do your homework to make sure you're dealing with reputable agents or publishers, and you should be fine.

Robert Raven

Nearly all published writers (and editors and agents) will tell you this is something you simply don't need to do. You possess the copyright to your work the moment it is produced in a tangible form (i.e., outside your head). Formal registration of the copyright is taken care of by publishers at the time of publication. Don't waste your money.

RR

Anthony Ravenscroft

I was told years ago that registering a copyright on a written work rarely makes much sense, because it's prone to editing & revision. If an editor asks for a significant overhaul, you end up with a fundamentally different work, & have paid for a copyright registration for something you're no longer likely to publish.

Very few unpublished works will ever be worth the price of registration. Though understandable, such registration is usually a conceit that it's worth stealing.

Ms. Jones Ms. Jones

I am NEW HERE as well and thought I'd send you a message. I am reading all kind of books on getting published and I see that you're almost there. Congratulations on a wonderful challenge. I hope your copyright is on its way.

Cathy C

If you want to read more about the process, including why it's unnecessary to do this in the future (it doesn't hurt anything this time, other than you might have to do it again), here's the source: The United States Copyright Office Frequently Asked Questions page:

<http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork>

Good luck and hope you find a publisher soon!
    Cathy

Alissa Peek

I want to thank you all for your replies. I feel like such a newbie. I am sorry it took me so long to respond. There was some trouble with my email and I had to rejoin. Now hopefully everything is taken care of and I will have no trouble jumping in and chatting with you all. Happy to finally be here! Alissa