HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Krystena Carpenter

Cake and Ice Cream

This is one of the stories I've been laboring over since 2003. I'm desperately trying to finish it. I have it all planned out but I can't bring it to the end. It's about this man (ayzeah) and his 3 women; ex fiance/baby mama (isyss), live in lover (jerzey), and rich girl on the side (liyah). The last 2 women dont know each other exist but the ex knows all. I need help to fill in the middle. There is way 2 much to write a small synopis but if u want me 2 explain it I'll try.

Irese Sheridan

Re: Cake and Ice Cream

Krystena -- Might sound a little harsh here, but using "2 much to write a small synopsis but if u want me 2 explain" makes me cringe. Save the silly short-cuts for chat rooms and e-mails to friends. In a writer's forum, write in real words.

And if you've labored over this story for 3 years, maybe it's time to try something else. The story sounds trite. But as you stated, it could make more sense if you explained it more. In direct sentences.

Irese

leslee

What do you want us to do for you, Krystena? I don't see any question in your post.

Tom Gill

I'm no expert, but I will share what helped me. You seem to have the beginning and the end. Re-read the end and go back to the beginning, then consider what logical steps need to be taken to get there.

For example, let's say you're writing about a thief. It starts with him breaking out of jail. How did he get there? What crime did he commit? What motivates him to break out? Ask yourself these kinds of things, and maybe the middle will come together for you. Good luck

Krystena Carpenter

Thanks for the helpful hints. It is much appreciated.

Here is the synopsis....
    Ayzeah is a major philanderer and has yet to see the flaw in his master plan. His ex fiance and mother of his 5 year old, Isyss has been by his side since they were children and continues to be his safe haven. After a fight in the church parking lot with Ayzeah's live in lover Jerzey, Isyss reevaluates her position in his relationship. So, Isyss starts dating designer Kyrone Jones of Ky&Khi's Hellified Creations the latest company her lingiere (sp) store.

That's what i have so far.

Irese Sheridan

Krystena -- Sorry to say your synopsis is off to a bad start. "Ayzeah is a major philanderer and has yet to see the flaw in his master plan." What does one have to do with the other? An agent wouldn't read past that first sentence.

One way to attack a synopsis is to read each chapter. Jot down the most important aspects of each. Then put the jottings together in full sentences, including the ending of the book. Let it cool for a few days then go back and rewrite it, making it as tight as possible.

That's the way I do it. Others have different methods that work wonderfully. You need more practice.

Irese

Louise Delaney

Forget the detail. Forget the subplots or you'll find writing the synopsis almost as hard as writing the novel was.

Strip it down to the bare bones and then pare it down some more.

We're talking about two pages max. And you won't even be able to include half of that with your query letter.

Louise

Louise Delaney

Oh, and I forgot: no room for the cake and definitely not the icecream. Mayb just a list of ingredients and the preparation method. In as abbrieviated form as possible.

Louise