HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Roy Abrahams

Re: Serious Writers Needed

Gawd, I remember the time I did that, Joe. Do you? But you sure broke me of sucking eggs. But I gots an idear we won't be hearing more from the housekeeper.

Venus --

I found an agency with that last name, but it was Randi, not Eunice. They are looking for submissions, though, so here's the link:

<<http://www.murrayagency.com/description.htm>>

I doubt that this agency is affiliated with our poster, though I could always be mistken. . .

-Karen

Roy Abrahams

I doubt if you are mistaken, Karen.

But let's get back to some mathematics. I'm especially intrigued by an agency that can stay in business on a shoestring.

So, let's say each of those five projects brought an above average advance, say $50K. Let's also say each title earned its advance and went on to generate an additional $20K for each author. That's $70K per title. Not bad for the authors.

Now, considering this agent gets her normal 15%. How much did she make in ten years?

Five titles @ $70,000 each = $350,000. Fifteen percent commission on that figure is $52,500. Divided by ten years, that's an average yearly income of $5,250. Or $437.50 per month. Or $109.37 for a 40 week. Or $.273 an hour.

Can we assume then that this agent also received food stamps and welfare for that ten years? She sure qualified.

Carol O

IIRC, a good/experienced agent can expect five sales in a single quarter. So...dismal sales, free email account, advertising for new writers...color me dubious.

Carol O

Aha! <http://motownwriters.homestead.com/AgentsEditors.html>

"Murray & Associates Eunice Murray
    <snip> writers1022000@yahoo.com
    Established in 1995 A full editorial service, including the retyping of your manuscript. Fiction and Non Fiction. Nationwide Service. I am also a published author ( The Death of Lisa)."

And...

<http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:X88hMq1bv8sJ:www.writers.net/editors/profile.php%3FUID%3D26916+%22Murray+%26+Associates %22+eunice&hl=en>

Venus --

Many apologies, Eunice. Thank you, Carol for correcting me. We've had such trouble with shady posters around here that I guess I'm overly suspicious. Sorry.

-Karen

Roy Abrahams

Yoiks!

Carol O

Heh. Venus, suspicion is warranted, IMO. I'll withhold further comment until Ms. Murray responds.

Venus --

Hmmmm, okay. Just be sure to comment further later, because now you have me curious.

-Karen

Eunice Murray

That book help me to become a better agent. It taught me to be careful of choosing an agent, editor, and publishing house. One of the benefits with signing with Murray's Literary Agency is we help writers to enhance their manuscript before marketing at no cost. We do not charge a reading fee.