HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Russell Sneddon

"paid to read" ""editors""

all replies i've had from agents and publishers have been, rather rude...

http://www.rascal-machines.com/books/books.php
    any idea where I can get some interest in this please folk?

...and, why do "pay to read" editorial agents always hand on your manuscript to their list of feminist housewives as opposed to a list of editors?

Mya Bell

Re: "paid to read" ""editors""

What is a "pay to read" editorial agent?

--- Mya Bell

Russell Sneddon

I don't know what you call them in yankland.,... proofreaders who charge 25 to read your script...?

let me know and i'll add the word to my vocabulary.

Rus xx

Mya Bell

Ah, I think that's what we call a copy editor (who edits a manuscript) as opposed to a literary agent (who sells the manuscript).

Now if you're talking about a literary agent that charges a "reading fee" then they are probably handing subcontracting to a freelance copy editor (or having an in-house copy editor look at the manuscript).

A few agents also have copy editing skills/experience and will do the critique/edit.

Generally, agents who charge reading fees are to be avoided, due to conflict-of-interest problems, but I understand there are a few more fee-charging agents on your side of the Atlantic than ours. Here the fee-chargers tend to be scammers, but as I mentioned on another thread yesterday, there are a handful of agents who charge reading fees who successfully represent authors.

By the way, you may be right. Those agents may well be handing off the manuscripts to relatives rather than to the most qualified editor available. It happens.

--- Mya Bell

Russell Sneddon

thanks for that info Mya, always a help to get confused half way through a fable...

With your point about the european way of doing things, it's a bloody mystery to me!

Rachael Elg

I believe that "pay to read" editors may not be all that great. I read somehwere that they do not help you much. "Editorial Agents?" as in you pay them to proofread and then they hand it back to you? I prefer MS Word and my own eye...

Good agents do not charge fees. You should not have to pay an editor at all. I believe it is part of the publishing deal...

(By the way, who is who? I believe you, Ruseell, are the European here? That makes Mya the "Yank"? Is that really what you Europeans think of us?)

Back to agents and what not. Find an agent, sign with an agent, agent finds editor/publisher, publisher/editor edits, for FREE, and then you get an advance check, and then you get royalties (hurray!) and then everythings just snazzy?