HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    A. L. Gerard

Creative non-fiction

Please, please forgive my ignorance, but what is meant by "creative non-fiction"? Is it something like Garrison Keillor's work? Or is it like "The Perfect Storm"? Or is it humorous essays? All of the above? None of the above? What?

Mya Bell

Re: Creative non-fiction

Creative nonfiction or narrative nonfiction is based upon a true story but with leeway for storytelling.

Legends of real-life heroes are, in a sense, creative nonfiction, if the facts of their feats are exaggerated or embellished to improve the story.

Family legends about how people met or how people immigrated from another country are often embellished and pruned to make them "good stories." These too would be considered creative nonfiction if they are largely based upon actual events.

--- Mya Bell

Iris

Hmmmmmm.............

Hmmmmmmm.................

I write narrative nonfiction. I have zero "leeway," if "leeway" refers to messing with the facts.

Mya's examples are perhaps accurate of a certain type of *storytelling,* but I'm not sure they are reflective of "creative nonfiction" as the term is typically used.

You might want to check some of the work of Lee Gutkind, or look at his website. Or read up on the "new" journalism. Or simply consult any of the books out there that discuss "creative nonfiction" and how to write it.

Mya Bell

Oh, I just thought of an example after reading your post, Iris.

I don't know if you've read it, but Schindler's List might be considered narrative nonfiction in the sense that you've described. It's a biography, but it reads like a novel. It's a while since I've read it, but would you consider Out of Africa to be narrative nonfiction in the same way?

--- Mya Bell

Mya Bell

Oh, and Iris, yes, I was thinking in the oral tradition. As soon as I saw A.L.G. had mentioned Garrison Keillor, I thought of his radio show and interpreted the question in terms of oratory and storytelling as opposed to book industry standards.

--- Mya Bell

Mya Bell

With the recent passing of Hunter S. Thompson, it occurs to me that "gonzo journalism" could be considered a form of creative nonfiction (as could documentary drama).

--- Mya Bell

Johnny Hess

Hunter could not have surrived the lifestye he claims to have lived. You can see a good exmaple of creative nonfiction at http://www.whitmorebooks.com/hoofcohaciwa.html .