HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to go

-T

Re: Where to go

I read all generas', so it's a bit difficult to narrow it down in that way. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Georgie

T--

Lois makes a valid point. And after you've found your genre "comfort zone," don't be afraid to just sit down at the keyboard and follow along wherever your mind takes you.

Even after having a vague idea of where I'd like to go with a story, I sometimes STILL agonize over where exactly to start, how exactly to start -- then afterward, of course, where it'll eventually wind up. But in most cases, I've found that if I just "keep writing," focusing on developing a solid baseline, rather than typos, spelling, etc.(which can and WILL be addressed once I'm out of the draft stage), I can soon push off on the theoretical "story bicycle" -- without the training wheels after a while.

Best of luck.
    Georgie

-T

Where to go

I've been writing in a journal for over 10 years. In this journal I experiment with poetry, fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, etc., none of which ever seems good enough to build on. Advice on how to push past this sticking point?
    Thanks,
    -T

Lois

-T -- What do you read most? That might be a good starting point. If a certain genre holds your interest more than others, check your entries to see which ones deal in that area. Perhaps you can build on one of those ideas with a mystery, romance, literary story, sf, etc. Or non-fiction may be your thing.

Sometimes a theme or an idea will grab on and not let go. That's the best. Hoping you find that within the pages of your journal.

Lois

john tenikat sr

use your imagionation. visualize heroa and villians and go from there