HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    No ONe

Re: Ingredients of a good writer

I agree with Marie Lu, and I think that if a young writer does the research and dedicates themself to the craft, then he/she can become a successful author. As Marie Lu stated earlier, however, becoming an author is not a typical teenage endeavor.

Gary Kessler

No ONe: Happily, although you might be entirely disagreeing with someone, it's not with me. Here, again, is what I said: "Reading this string confirms to me that you can write best when you have experienced enough of life to have something to write about--although there's no giant finger descending from the air and landing on a particular age before which that can't happen." So, I said that such experiences could be gathered by a teenager.

Later, I indicated, it would be a rare teenager in at least the United States today (when most teenagers in the United States today are barely literate thanks to our educational systems)--but I nowhere closed out on an "it could happen." If I'd been a natural writer, it would have happened to me, as a matter of fact--I grew up with a literary publishing house in the family and famous authors at the dinner table, considerable foreign travel and travails--and little or no TV.

No ONe

Gary: I apologize for jumping on you so quickly. After rereading your post, I understand what you were saying.

Murg

Obviously Mary Shelley was a rare individual, or there would have been hundreds or thousands of teenage authors of classics from that time period. That would also be the case today, I think; it would be a one in a million (+- a few thou) teen who writes work of comparable quality.