HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Olufemi Taiwo

S.T. Literary Agency

From what I can tell from my research, this agency seems legit. The have looked over my manuscript and invited me to fill out a "PreContract Author Intake" Form. Has anyone heard of this agency, and is this Pre Contract form from an agent normal? Does it signify anything? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Karen Dionne

Re: S.T. Literary Agency

Olufemi -

Do a search of the archives over on the Literary Agents' forum - quickly! I don't think you'll like what you find . . . Sorry, but better that you find out now rather than later.

Good luck -

Karen

Olufemi Taiwo

Thank you for your warning. As always, I am glad I came here first. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate the exact article via search, but I think I get your gist. The Agency is a scam, correct?

Karen Dionne

Funny - the search feature must be acting up today or something, because I couldn't find the threads I'd been thinking of either.

S.T. Literary is the same as Sydra Techniques, to my recollection. But since no one else has chimed in, I suggest you do a yahoo search on the agency, also check with Preditors and Editors (sorry, don't know the URL, but I'm pretty sure Gary supplied it in his How to Get an Agent article on the Agents' page of this website.) You can also email Ann Crispin, and she'll be glad to tell you what Writer Beware has on this agency: AnnCrispin@aol.com

Karen

Dora Nevius

http://www.sfwa.org/beware/ Is this the URL for Writer Beware?

thanks.

Dora

James C. Harwood

Regarding http://www.stliteraryagency.com. I didn't do a background check on ST Literary Agency, Inc. until they asked for money. They don't ask for money until the last step, and then they put a time limit of 14 days to pay it by check with the contract mailed to PO Box 272503 in Boca Raton, FL 33427, as they do not have a street address. The phone number 1-561-393-0329 is not listed. They do not have offices in New York, NY and Los Angeles, CA as claimed. They are not listed by the BBB or any similar source for businesses or agents. Right now, I don't recall how I found them, but they are listed in various search engines. They only want 10% after paying the fee. The fee is said to be for a website, in part, and a page that is sent to publishers, a total of $129.00. I already have a website and a page for publishers. Also, they want $14 for each copy submitted to a publisher. By the way, I've already had my first book published by POD iUniverse.com. They did a good job, but it proved to be a dead end, so I've continued to search for an agent and a mass market book publisher. My website is http://www.hereafternovels.com. While dealing with ST Literary Agency, with long time-lags in email replies from their "Jill Mast" contact person, I have in hindsight the impression of dealing with a partially automated system, so it might be a one-person operation. There is some information about the possibility that ST Literary Agency Inc is aka dba Sydra Techniques, but I've not yet investigated that. Of all the cities in the USA, Boca Raton is the home of the most scam artists in the USA. I don't recall now where I read that. The other name associated with ST Literary Agency is "Robert Fletcher, Principal."

By the way, I was somewhat surprised to also find negative information on the Janet Kay Literary Agency down in Texas. I guess there are scam artists out there who hate science fiction so much that they would turn away a potential mark. She is listed as an agent who accepts scifi novels. Even so, I got hate mail from her soon after she received my submission, telling me "I could not force myself to read past the first few pages..." --a very unprofessional letter.

I guess I'm at another dead end and will have to keep looking.

--James C. Harwood
    HEREafterNovels

James C. Harwood

CORRECTION in my previous message: My website for HEREafterNovels is http://www.hereafternovels.org. I'm not a .com yet!

Ben Willis

First they charge $129 dollars. Once they receive the original amount, the rest of the contract kicks in. You can read this and decide for yourself. I know I won't be sending them any money.

Please see www.demo.STLiteraryAgency.com for an example of the online pitch page for both a screenplay and a book. We use the OPP extensively in our sales process when we are on the phone pitching your work to producers and publishers. You can also direct your contacts to your OPP. We find that if someone has an interest, they want information NOW, and directing them to your OPP on the web can advance a deal for you very quickly.
    Note: About the Admin Fee. Many writers are aghast that they would be charged anything for anything! They complain loudly and vociferously to all who will listen. If this one-time fee troubles you please do not sign with us! And, we thank you for your time thus far and wish you well in your continued search for an Agent.
    Our best relationships occur with professionals who understand the inherent costs of running a business in today’s hyper-competitive environment and who understand that the odds are stacked against new authors. Our core desire is to allow more emerging writers to have their chance at success. By covering our administrative costs we can more aggressively promote your work and increase both of our chances of success. We can also afford to spend the coaching time needed to answer your questions and give you more personalized services.
    After we polish your “online pitch page” we will work with you to submit your materials to potential buyers from our contacts. If we are asked to mail a printed copy of your work, then you will pay $14 per submittal to cover printing, binding, and shipping and handling. You will be informed of, and approve of, all fees before any work is initiated. There will be NO SURPRISE CHARGES. Typically, we work in groups of 10 submittals and we rarely send out more than 3 batches in one year.

Matt

Has anyone done a Q and A with them - him- it at ST to find out any specifics? Has anyone heard of them not charging anything for a writer who has already been published? Will they answer specific questions or am I going to get the straight arm when I go for? Any thoughts?

Amanda D.

Hi Matt,

I was just contacted by the ST Literary Agency, too. (I am a published author.) So far, they have not asked for any money, but did mention the fee to distribute my manuscripts to publishers. I've already been scammed by a supposed agent and do not want to lose any more money.

Best,

Amanda