HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Gary Kessler

Re: Message For Gary & Yustas

And the nonexistence of yours. I haven't posted here for two days.

kotz-gottlieb

Re: to Hamish

Dear Hamish:
    Thank you for your attempt to remove the detrimental retorts from your discussion board. I never had intentions to reply to such comments. But as you see above even after the webmaster's asking not to communicate the reference to the subject of invisibility is obviously targets me anyway.

Sicerely,
    Yustas

Jennifer Lawson - Zepeda

Yustas I disagree with you

While the main objective for many of us is to gain traditional publishing, there is one thing you forgot. The basics of any great marketing strategy is exposure, exposure, exposure! Any place that provides you with exposure and the chance opportunity for publishers to read your work is good press. Clearly, many have already proven this through going from self publishing to traditional publishing. While it's not the norm, it certainly is valid.

As for POD's and Vanity publishing? I disagree there too. Why? Because I've already had almost 100 people ask to read my book, which will be released in January. I'm not counting friends or associates, but complete strangers that read my web site and found it interesting. I didn't publish under 1st Books as a banner to say I'm published, but as an opportunity to advertise. If it's up on amazon.com and someone looks under Latin Genre, AND if they find it interesting, then I've got one more possible word of mouth. Besides, it's a tax write off as well. Working in Marketing & Advertising has taught me the cost of advertising. If you only spend five or six hundred bucks, you've done WELL, as an ad in many magazines runs in the thousands.

Having the opportunity to share your work, with a possible reader enjoying your craft, can also become beneficial in that if they like you, they may decide to read more of you. This certainly happened to me with my favorite author Michele Serros. I read one thing she wrote and I was hooked! I have purchased every book she's put out now, and I'm dying for her to release her next one. Also, many of us in genres which are not mainstream actively pursue books in our area of interest. I have purchased so many books with were published by POD's now, that I can't even count. Why? Because they were available in my genre. Some were incredibly boring. Some were incredibly delightful.

Beyond that, I've read so much crap that was traditionally published and agented, that I'm not sure this isn't the reason book sales are down in a depressed economy. A gentleman I know who has been published many times, told me he feels the traditional publishers are losing so much money these days on some authors, that he heard the wave of the future will be that ALL books considered by traditional publishers will have to stand the test of self publication first, to measure sales. I don't know if he's right, but I am inclined to think if Simon & Schuster just laid off such a high percentile of their editors, this may not be so far from the truth. Time will tell.

None of this has to do with superior writing though. Books sell because of timing, good marketing, and a good subject in demand. Some are written well and some are miserable. But even a well written book won't sell if solid marketing isn't applied. Therefore, instead of sitting around and hoping to be discovered, I'll take my chances with anything that gets my name out there. Besides, those 100 books will pay for difference between my tax write off and investment for advertising. So I really haven't lost a thing, and even admitting I've gone the POD route, I'm still having people request my manuscript.

yustas

Re: You meant to disagree with someone else, Jennifer:

Dear Jennifer:
    I have to direct your comment to someone else, because I totally subscribe to your opinion and probably you mistook someone else's comment for mine as there is an intense discussion of Invisible art of Paul Jaisini on this discussion board and there were many messages posted in response to mine. Of course I wouldn't be able to find a thread but I said exactly what you are saying above about exposure. Not just agree with you but I think exactly like you do and have absolutely similar experience with readers who are waiting for the book on art I plan to self-publish.

The novel that I recently completed is already lined up with a publishing house here in New York City. But the publisher is a friend of the family. I am well aware that otherwise it would take years before having a good novel published while like you mention "template" books are printed every year the further the worse.

Truthfully yours,
    Yustas

Jennifer Lawson - Zepeda

Sorry Yustas, you are absolutely correct! I'd love to see your art book. My father was an accomplished artist, as is my son. Regretfully, I don't have that talent. It's like singing, I certainly participate in shower cantatas, but nobody in their right mind would EVER request I sing a song for them...LOL.

kotz-gottlieb

Lovely Jennifer:
    No problem at all. I am glad to meet like-minded writer, and I applaud your character. But now it is not surprising after you tell that you come from artistic family.
    I studied piano from the age of 6. Though my father used to say that it is waste of time. His father was a military orchestra musician. I suppose my father knew better when he used to say that an elephant stepped on my ear. Still after academical studies for 10 years I learned how to sing with piano. My most favorites was to play Lui Armstrong, Duke Elington and sing along.
    Smiles,
    Yustas