HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mike

Re: Converting word count to pages?

What the "H" I think I will dive in here. I have been checking a lot of published books lately just to get an idea how many words a page they run. Most of the Hard Bound books I checked are 30-33 lines with 9-10 words a line. Considering that there are a number of lines that are shorter than 9-10 words (mostly dialogue) I have settled at 30 lines, eight words pre line or 240 words per page. I use 1.3 inch margins and get about 210 words a page.
    The other suggestion that I have not seen a response to yet is that most publishers of novels prefer 90,000 to 110,000 words to the manuscript. I have read a number of books on manuscript preparation and their suggest either Times Roman or Courier for the type. Hope some of this is helpful. Good luck!

Mike

DF

I recently had my novel edited and I asked about length etc. I was told at 63,000 words it was too short, however, as a first time writer most publishers wouldn't want it too long (80,000 max) The finished article is now just over 70,000 words. Apparently though, they'd want the full 90,000-110,000 from an established author. That's the view in England anway, perhaps it's different in the US?

Andrew Haug

I hope that the word count varies from genre to genre. My finished and edited technothriller is 150,000 words. I see myself losing about 10,000 before it's like chopping fingers off.

Gary Kessler

Yes, optimum word counts vary from genre to genre.

First-time authors in just about any adult genre, however, will have the highest expectation of contract-signing success if they keep their word count within the most comfortable financial range for producing a book--between about 75,000 words and 90,000 words.

Cornell Cole

This is a great message, I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot also. I was told by a publishied author not to go over 100,000 words for first book and anyting from 50,000 t0 70,000 was to small.
    cec