HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shelton Wilkes

Converting word count to pages?

Hi All:

I just finished my first murder mystery manuscript and it was a fantastic journey. I had heard and read about how many people start the process, but quit along the way. It feels great to have at least completed the task even though finding an agent and selling it to a publisher are still both extreme longshots. I have 66,000 words double spaced using New Times Roman 12 font. Does anyone have an idea how many approximate pages that would be?
    Thanks,
    Shelton Wilkes

julia

Re: Converting word count to pages?

doesn't your word processing program convert all the statistics for you?
    guessing about 200 to 220 pages.
    You can always print it out to see using some old,old and even older paper.
    thank you
    julia

Shelton Wilkes

Julia:

Thanks for your response. Yes, Microsoft Word tells me the word count and the number of pages. (245) What I would like to know is if a page 8 1/2 x 11 double spaced is equal to a single spaced page the size of a book which is much smaller.

Thanks,
    Shelton

julia

well now that is more specific.
    Sorry, can't help with that one.

Jane Newcomer

63,000 words should be about 200 pages in book form.

Shelton Wilkes

Jane:

Thanks so much. I assume I need to reach about 250 pages for a viable book.

Thanks Again,
    Shelton

Gary Kessler

The main reason authors/agents speak of manuscripts in terms of words rather than pages is that there are many variables (all controlled by the publisher's designers) that go into how many average words there are to the page of a published books. These include trim size; font; font size; margin sizes; amount of leading; average size of paragraphs (fiction uses a lot more paragraphs--thus space--than nonfiction); number of illustrations, graphs, figures, charts, photos; number of chapters; depth of chapter drops; length of paragraph indents; and number of pages and sections in front and back matter.

(FYI, double spacing, Times Roman in 12-point almost never are choices for a published book.)

julia

whew, and now a word from our sponsors

julia

Its real funny how some folks answer questions. the cloak and dagger type.
    and there are others who tell you more than you ever wanted to know. Unitl you have sensory run the hell away.
    of course I love the latter.
    the first one either doesnt know and dont want folks to know they dont know or 2 just got the knowledge and want to hold on to the precious new information or 3 had to get the information the hard way so going to make the others work and sweat for the answer or 4 just plain insecure.
    notice Gary isnt any of the four.
    Overflood and overwhelm you with his answers.
    thank you
    julia

Goliardys

All you have to do is check the books on your shelves and type out a page from an average one. Then set a page size accordingly and copy your manuscript into it, adding page numbering.

I use Marian Keyes' "Rachel's Wedding", a typical Penguin, to judge page numbers by, though I don't actually write in that format.

Even so, it is still only a rough guide because, as Gary says, books vary a lot in the way they're set out.

Goliardys.