HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    A. L. Gerard

I'm okay with this

I got my first rejection today. But that’s okay because I hadn’t held out much hope from this agent anyway. Although she’s apparently successful and does represent my kind of fiction, I was hesitant to query her because of the rather snotty tone of her website--you know, one of those where you can almost hear the impatient sighing behind the wording of their submission guidelines, as if they’re saying, “I REALLY don’t like to look at anything from unpublished nobodies, but if you feel you MUST waste my time by sending me your drivel, here’s how to do it . . .”

But after reading several threads on this site about how rude and abrupt this particular agent is, I (rather perversely) thought I’d send her a query, just to see how rude and abrupt she’d be to me.

Well, turns out she wasn’t rude. Just abrupt, and that’s okay. However, I received this politely abrupt response less than a week after I put it in the mail. OUCH! She didn’t give too much thought to it, did she? But that’s okay. At least she didn’t keep me waiting in false hope. What really bugged me though was that she didn’t even bother to seal my SASE. It arrived wide open in my mailbox. Now I know we artistic types are hypersensitive, but that strikes me as rather insulting—as if my query wasn’t even worth the teeny bit of tape it would have taken to keep the envelope closed as it made its way through our nation’s postal system. But that’s okay too, because I’ve learned a valuable lesson: go out and buy self-adhesive envelopes for the next round of queries!

So that’s my rant. Thanks for letting me vent. It won’t happen again. But this was, after all, my first rejection. So that’s okay.

M T

Re: I'm okay with this

Congratulations! hehehe! Hopefully tomorrow ... next week ... month ... you will be receiving congratulations on finding an agent. fingers crossed. :-)

Bob Kellogg

I got another one today.

A.L., keep that. You'll acquire an interesting collection before you know it.

The one I got today was in my category Scribbled on the Query. My original letter had a two-second scrawl, "NOT for me." Then below it, something that looked like Arabic, but that I finally interpreted to mean the agent's initials. And below that, the date as 3/31.

But I got it, A.L., because I enclosed a self-seal envelope. No licking necessary. I use the El Cheapos to send my queries, but I enclose an SASE that requires the minimum effort and vulnerability. Who knows how paranoid an agent can be ans still be successful?

Just a tip.

Bob K.

Karen Dionne

Re: I got another one today.

A.L.

Best-selling author Peter Deutermann recently told me, "A rejection is just the publishing industry's way of saying, hello, welcome to the game . . . Keep plugging."

Nice thought. Meanwhile, use that rejection you got today to start growing a thick layer of skin! You're gonna need it!

And yeah - welcome to the game. :-)

Karen

Jeff Draper

That's one more than I have!

I agree with the idea of keeping it. I still have a ten year old file of short story rejections that I come across every now and then. The closest thing I had to something personalized was a quick note scrawled on a form letter: "Nice title, sorry to disappoint."

A. L. Gerard

Oh no! I tore the rejection letter into bits and tossed it in the trash right after I read it!! I'll have to try to stop the impulse next time so that I can maintain a Rejection Collection that will give me gratifying moments of complacent "Nyah, Nyah, Nyahs" once I am a best-selling novelist.

(I did, however, carefully enter the date of the rejection into the meticulous Agent Log I created--I am nothing if not organized.)

julia

funny stuff there.

julia

funny stuff there.