HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    A. L. Gerard

Categorizing My Novel

Okay, so I've finished my masterpiece and now I'm ready to begin the query letter-rejection-query letter-rejection-query letter-rejection . . . process. My first problem is I don't know how to categorize my novel. I suppose it would be closest to a "romance" but I don't want to give the impression that it's a "Romance Novel" because it doesn't meet the formula (i.e., it doesn't have a happy ending or a sympathetic hero.) But I don't know what else to call it. Although it takes place a hundred years ago, it's not an "historical" novel because the historic events of the time don't really come into play much. It's really just "Women's fiction" along the lines of Maeve Binchy or Malcolm MacDonald. But everything I've read says it's not good to categorize your work as "women's fiction" because that's too broad a description. HELP!!! Where can I get some good, strong guidelines for properly categorizing my novel?

Thanks

scribbler2

Re: Categorizing My Novel

I don't know why anyone would say "Women's Fiction" is too broad a description. Read the descriptions of what agents are interested in, in guidebooks and on websites and in listings on the Internet. You'll find "Women's Fiction" mentioned all the time. It's a fine category (and I'm not just saying that because I happen to write it). Yes, it can encompass a lot of different plots and settings, but if it's aimed primarily for women, then that's how you want to describe it. It's a very popular and highly marketable category.

Kaz

There are a few sub categories of romance it might fit into, such as romantic suspense or gothic romance.

Kristy

So those agents that say they're looking for "women's fiction" are asking for too broad a category? You're fine. It's women's fiction. Go forth and query.

Brady Boyd

I'd give an opinion but I don't know enough about romance or women's fiction to help. I had a similar problem categorizing my own novel (fantasy or YA).

Sorry.

Brady Boyd

Neil

"Women's Fiction," is a recognized and much used term so go ahead with that.