HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Matt H

Hamish re: Epstein

Hamish,

Although you certainly don't need to defend your decisions, I have couple questions regarding the banishment of Epstein the agitator.

It seems to me that your decision to banish this ignoramus would actually damage the integrity of the board. When he began his attack on Ann it was wonderful to see the regular posters here leap to her defense. We all recognize the professionalism and selfless work she performs on behalf of all writers. Old Epstein was drowned in a wave of support for Ann.

Again, in his attack on the Anthology his attack was met with a thoughtful, vigorous defense of Gary and the Anthology itself.

It seems to me that Ann and Gary are more than capable of defending themselves, and their reputations are held in high regard by those members who understand and value their tireless efforts on our behalf.

So, why banish this fool? He has identified himself as such. We all know he has an agenda. His vitriol sometimes serves to clarify other matters, i.e. the copyright thing.

I also recognize the pupose of this board is to further the cause and the careers of aspiring writers. And it may be that Epstein is, like an unruly student in a classroom, too much of a distraction to the real business of learning.

And I want to thank you for your own selfless efforts in keeping this board alive. I have found it invaluable in answering questions about the writing life.

Sincerely,

Matt H

BrianH

Re: Hamish re: Epstein

The people who burn the books are always right.

Judy Greer

I'm lost...where did all this take place? Have the threads been deleted?

Matt H

Brian,

That was not my implication. No one can call Hamish a book burner. That is an unwarranted attack. I am looking for an informed discussion.

Matt

Liz

Yes, Judy, although one thread in question still exists in the 'editors' forum.

Matt, that was an interesting, thoughtful, and well-crafted post. I had similar thoughts as I read the anthology thread. Dissent is good, is it not?

However, this poster NEVER had good to say, and attacked everyone who disagreed with him/her. If someone of that bent drives away posters too timid to venture a post in such an environment, which is the greater evil?

I'm inclined to agree with your view expressed above, but more inclined to give in to my relief at seeing him/her gone.

Curious to see what others say.

Judy Greer

Thanks, Liz, I found it. As to my opinion of posters like Epstein ... I ignore them just as I used to ignore my toddlers when they threw themselves to the floor in a tantrum. When they didn't generate the attention they sought, they shut up. There are PLENTY of times I'd love to chime in on a certain hot subject around here, but most times it just isn't worth getting all worked up over, so I don't. The personal attacks are ridiculous, however, and totally uncalled for. I, like others I've met here and now correspond with via e-mail, have been turned off by the recent onslaught of verbal crap that's been going on lately. Intelligent discourses on opinions, etc. are one thing, mud-slinging isn't. There's been alot of mud-slinging lately. I really don't know about banning someone from posting, but hey, if they don't pipe down when requested to, then what other recourse is there?

Lisa Werth

I agree with Judy & Liz's posts.
    I am all for discussion and constructive criticism here. To me this occurs when the writer posts their work here for review by others, whether it is a query letter, synopsis, sample chapter, etc.
    It is another thing to be antagonist and attack an author because you have some beef with them.
    Lisa

Glen T. Brock

Hamish,

I have absolutely no say so in the management of the web site. It is your decision and, frankly I'm inclined to agree with the decision.

I am interested in why Epstein has so much hatred for his colleagues. It doesn't make sense to me. Is this an act? A scam? He is educated and seems to have the craftsmanship to be a respected member of the community. Yet his raving is directed in everybody within range of his posting. It's an aberation. Why?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what made Epstein what he has become?

Bly Oxford

I think he was merely blowing off steam, and posting hateful words is better than kicking his cat. Then, too, some people like to get under the skin of others. As long as it's anonymous, other people can't hit back with anything harder than words. And, perhaps, he was practicing writing. Maybe posting here is all he has to write about. IMHO, practice will never make that twerp perfect. Like you, most of us are budding psychologists, and it's our nature to wonder what makes someone like Epstein tick.
    Bly

marie ohmy

if this board is anything like the others on the www, epstein will be back under another name, and another, and so on. judy is right on the money as far as ignoring such people. he/she gets joy out of creating dissent and chaos. once ignored he/she will have to take the game elsewhere (or kick the cat).

xxm