HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dumb Question

(just call me) McHarris

Dumb Question

Where can I find specifics re: how many pages? words etc., are acceptable for particular types of children's books? I know that 32 pages is the number for beginners picture books, what about Chapter Books? Novels etc., for children.

Are there guidelines out there?

Thanks

McHarris

Carmella

Re: Dumb Question

The trend in picture books is shorter - under 1,000. Better: under 500 words. (Just a side note - beginning/emergent readers are are 8 or 16 pages (and under 200 words). Picture books, a different creature altogether, are 32.)

Hi-Lo books - 400 to 1,200 words

Chapter books are around 6,000 to 8,000 words.

Middle readers - around 30,000

YA - 30,000 - 50,000

Got this info from _Children's Writer's Word Book_ and _Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market_.

Nellie Butler

The only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked...

I have a book called "Formatting and Submitting Your Manuscript." It tells what you already know about page number for picture books, but doesn't mention limits when talking about the others you asked about.
    It mentions a group called The Society of Book Writers and Illustrators: a professional guild for both published and unpublished authors and illustrators of children's books, which "offers workshops, conferences, meetings and critique groups throughout the country. Members receive bimonthly SCBWI Bulletin, which contains current informaion about the children's book publishing industry. The organization also presents grants for writers and illustrators."
    The address is:
    22736 Vanowen St.
    Suite 106
    West Hills, CA 91307
    I'm not sure if they have a website, but it should be easy enough to find if they do.
    I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but I hope it helps anyway.
    Nellie

Bly Oxford

Re: The only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked...

McHarris and Nellie,
    The address for SCBWI is www.scbwi.org, but the site does not contain the answers to the question--only the books have those answers, and one must become a member before he can acquire the books.
    Here is the information contained in the books. I posted this previously. I also posted the address of a new agency in the Craft Forum that is very informative. The site answers most of the problems found in your original query. That is the reason I posted it.
    Genre of Book--------------Number of Msnuscript Pages
    Board Book-----------------1/2 - 3--These are usually read-to books.
    Picture Book---------------2-3---for pre-school to eight years old. (A picture book has a picture on every page)
    Picture Story Book---------6-9--For early readers--5 to 8 years old. (A picture Story Book does not contain as many illustrations)
    Easy Reader Book-----------10-20--for early or slow readers
    Young Middle Grade Fiction-40-60--Middle readers are 9-11 years old.
    Middle grade novels--------100-150
    Ya Novels------------------175-200--are 12 and up.
    Young non-fiction----------10-20--I think this will apply to early, easy, or slow readers.
    Middle-grade Nonfiction----60-100
    YA Nonfiction--------------100-150
    Romance Novels-------------140-160
    Bly

Mc Harris

To all who replied:

Thanks for the information. Newbees need much help :-)

Is it possible to get a FORUM started for Children's Writers and Illustrators????

Have a Great Day and Keep the Ink Flowing!

McHarris

picturebook

Re: To all who replied:

Tried to get a show of hands for a new thread or Forum for children's writers, but there were only THREE hands......