HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Pam

"Elder Mysteries"

My sister and I are both writers - both interested in mysteries but of entirely different "types". I'm writing a series involving a young female detective and she's created a "senior" character who lost her husband a number of years ago, and whose adult children have encouraged her to move into an assisted-living type community. There she decides to try and determine if her husband's death was in fact the accident she was told it was or something more sinister.

My question to everyone out there (on her behalf) is will mystery readers be interested in a "senior" lead character? I think it's a wonderful idea, and have encouraged her to continue with it. She is wondering if there's a market out there for "elder mysteries" at all. My thought is that "once a mystery lover - always a mystery lover" and there are senior READERS out there just as there are readers of ALL ages! Personally I enjoyed the "Miss Marple" mysteries and she was no spring chicken......What do you all think?

Jennie

Re: "Elder Mysteries"

I think there are two main markets. Teens and Seniors. Both age groups have the TIME to read. And I beleive seniors love mystery and would enjoy a character they can relate to.
    Jennie

James

Pam, my theory is....that "quality", no matter what genre, will always have an audience. If you believe you have something of "quality" to offer, and you have the Gods with you, chances are you will find the success you so much deserve. There are two rooms in front of you. One is marked 'the writing room', and the other is marked 'the business room'. You, as a creative writer, must never enter 'the business room'. You must always enter only 'the writers room'.Why?. Writing is the creation of man's ideas, which stimulate the dreams of others. Without creative writing, we are still the apes, swinging through the endless jungles, looking for another banana. The 'writers room' is a place of hope and promise, while 'the business room' is a dark, sinister, danagerous place, and the only person who has any chance of survival in that room is someone who is savy, crude, insensitive, conniving, malicious, and tough as steel. In other words, this room is for your business agent.Because, there are still those at the top of the ladder, way up there in the penthouse, who will make decisions that will affect your life, as a writer, who look at writing as strictly a business, and a means to do nothing else, except 'make money'. You will write, and create pleasure, while your business agent will be in the 'business room', doing the deals to get your 'quality' product into the market. You will know 'quality' is present, when your business agent is spending all his time in the 'business room', because he, like the man up in the penthouse, is looking at your work as a bank roll. Believe me, if you have something of quality, and you are looking for success, get yourself a business agent. Success will come. It's not talent alone which will get you that success you strive for.

Susan Moody

Pam,
    I work almost exclusively with seniors. Thier lives are interesting, their thoughts and insights are sometimes astounding. They're also often forgotten. Not only will writing from an elder's perspective give younger people a look at how they view life, it will also give some of them a sense that they're forgotten as living, thinking, feeling individuals. I think it's a terrific idea. Good luck.

Sue

Eric Gilmartin

Pam, your question is funny, not because it's a bad question, but because it's ironic. Elderly detectives, it seems to me, were quite common in detective and mystery fiction. Miss Jane Marple, for example, helped her middle-aged policeman nephew solve crimes in many of Agatha Christie's novels. More recently, we had the television version of Miss Marple: Jessica Fletcher on "Murder, She Wrote". I think it's safe to say the precedent has long since been established for the character your sister has devised. Tell her to get that sucker written and send it out - and may I add, good luck to you and to her!

Eric Gilmartin, author, "Wolfpack Stories: Volume I"

Mary M.

I'd suggest you not label the plot as being "senior," because your plot, which sounds plausible, reflects real life and need not emphasize anything "senior." The fact that the lead character will be an older person should also not be emphasized. It's going to be a mystery, period. And when you take into consideration the percentage of today's readers who are -- well, who are seniors, I think you've got a viable market. Keep in mind, too, that today's older citizens are dynamic.