HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    l m

Re: It's all about your ego, isn't it?

"You would be surprised on many of our myths and legends. Also you may make a joke about my country anytime, as we like jokes."

"We have a pretty great and rich history and a noble past"

Hey--I know what you say is true--it's a fascinating nation and people. Very distinctive. With all this blather in the US about "diversity," many forget that Europe itself is incredibly diverse.

I had friends here in the US whose parents were refugees from Khrushchev's tanks and troops in 1956--there were a few dozen Hungarian refugees in the neighborhood. Great people--smart, fun, funny, with an edge. Definitely not bland or boring.

From wiki: "The Soviets retaliated massively with military force, sending in over 150,000 troops and 2,500 tanks. During the Hungarian Uprising an estimated 20,000 people were killed, nearly all during the Soviet intervention. Nearly a quarter of a million people left the country during the brief time that the borders were open in 1956.

Sense of humor? From Zsa Zsa Gabor:

I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?

Conrad Hilton was very generous to me in the divorce settlement. He gave me 5000 Gideon Bibles.

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house.

Istvan Szabo, Ifj.

Re: It's all about your ego, isn't it?

We all have similar sense of humor, even in the hardest times. Also we used to be a friendly and kind nation, also just as you written about 1956, we're a nation of proud warriors whose always like to rebel even against the overwhelming odds. Even the Russians needed to send 150000 troops and 2500 tanks to break down the resistance of thousands. Comparing to the U.S. history, maybe it was a bit similar to the Battle of Alamo... with tanks. Overwhelming odds with a glorious and memorable defeat... but at least we can say, we Hungarians are always in the first line if it's about tyranny. We're a proud and noble warrior nation after all.

But seriously. Europe is a really diverse continent, but sometimes we also forget the diversity of the American culture. We used to say, we're Europeans, we're the oldest, we're the best, etc, etc... Also we hear the same from the other side. We're the Americans, we're the smartest, we're the coolest, etc, etc... Sometimes that's causing the misunderstandings between the citizens of the two continents, while I believe we're no different at all. Just we love to say, we're European, we're American... what is making the difference between us? No one is better because he is an American and no one is worse because he is a European.

And I believe this is caused the misunderstanding in this topic too. I'm a Hungarian. Everyone knows that and I also know as I experienced how arrogantly some Americans used to approach Europeans and I experienced the same here, maybe with a little overreaction (But maybe my previous experiences also added to this a bit as a counter-reaction.). I believe both sides is mistaken here as we followed our great, ultimate pride... while we all forget, we're all equal regardless where we come from.