HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Istvan Szabo, Ifj.

Agent / Publisher / Pre-marketing question

As we\'ve just launched the website of our epic high fantasy novel, I\'d like to ask the following: do any of you have any experience and tell me how agents or even publishers are reacting for self-advertising prior the time we would send them any queries or the novel itself (The novel is still in development)? We\'re intending to create a basic fan base, present the basic atmosphere of the world itself, show few things about this unique world before we would look for agents or publishers (Also we\'re not intend to spoil anything from the story.). But the question remains; what do they, agents and publishers may think about this pre-marketing? Should we mention the website in the query at all?

To see what about I\'m talking, you may check out our website here: http://www.crystalshadeangeni.com

Gary Kessler

Re: Agent / Publisher / Pre-marketing question

Come to them with preorders. Otherwise don't bother. They tend to shy away from working with someone who already is trying to do their job--but who can't show concrete results, only closing out on some of the activity they would have generated--with more experience.

Lorelei Armstrong

Agreed. Websites don't create fans. Great writing creates fans. If I were an agent reading this, I'd be concerned that you spent a great deal of effort creating a website for a novel that is still "in development." An agent would be happier to see that you had a basic blog with hundreds of regular readers than that you have a shiny website that nobody visits.

Istvan Szabo, Ifj.

Thank you for the quick responses.

Lorelei. Uh, actually people are visiting the website regularly. They already know it's existing and what we're going to offer with this world. We're also updating it with few things. Just on the first days, we also got around nine pages of positive responses from some industry pros and future readers. I agree with you as the story must sell itself to the readers and we're aiming to this, but I always love to make experiment with new things as I have experience in marketing too. So the website, the arts, the presented atmosphere is a plus, nothing more. By my opinion it's easier to sell a world if you already know what it is (So, people whose already checked the website already know something about the world itself.). The fan base is slowly growing, so it's not a problem at all.

Gary. The preorder is a good idea. I believe we'll meditate on it. But who knows the atmosphere of the world itself better? The agent, the publisher, some marketing guy or the author? I guess the last one. As the story is precise and detailed, I don't want to see this world on a different way as it is in the reality. For my luck I'm also a graphic artist (I committed the arts on the website. ).

Gary Kessler

But who knows the atmosphere of the world itself better? The agent, the publisher, some marketing guy or the author? I guess the last one.

And after you've given up and self-published and have a garage full of books you haven't been able to unload because you were running on hyped supposition and wishful thinking, maybe you'll come up with a different answer to that question.

Sorry, Istvan, your story is a dime a dozen. Good luck. (I do mean that genuinely.)

Gopher Gold

I disagree with the responses here. If you work (very hard)at creating a fan base on a website and /or blog, not just about your book, but the "concept" and you can eventually show several thousand registered members and/ or unique daily visitors, agents will respond (provided you're a skilled writer.) Editors have to regularly present the mss. in front of the marketing department of a publishing house - if they hear there is a significant preexisting fan base, they are going to like that.

This does tend to work better with non-fiction, but it happens with fiction too. Sometimes agents will actually contact the blog/ web owner first if they see the potential audience.

Gary Kessler

Views registered on a Web site mean nada to an agent/publisher considering investing in your book. That's just a hyped urban myth of the Web-based self-publishing crowd. Agents/publishers look for commitment. This ain't it.

The "provided you're a skilled writer" in GG's post is the kicker. That's what agents/publishers look for. The rest is just busy work until/unless an agent/publisher latches into something substantive.

And to the point of the original question, if you do all of this beforehand, you have shortcircuited the agent's/publisher's own marketing plan process. Don't think for a second that they appreciate this unless what you have done has generated a significant number of preorders in hand.

Istvan Szabo, Ifj.

Actually as I'm the author of the world, I created it, I know the atmosphere and the world better then anyone else. That's why I'm the author, the writer of this world.

Why would I give up? I never used to do that. Do you know how many times I heard I'm going to fail because I used to try out something new, new approaches, new ideas? Million times? Maybe more? I heard the same when I made movies years ago. You can't write and direct. And at the very end I got the award for it.

I'm used to play by the rules, but that doesn't draw out new methods and new approaches. If you don't have the bravery to do something new, you'll create something what others did before. But I don't want to create something what others did already. Do you know what I heard from people in the last weeks? Finally someone is went beyond the basic writing and knows exactly how things are looks like in his own world. Finally someone was able to step beyond the regular, write a novel and leave everything else for the publisher and forget your world, or write a boring blog what is making you the same as others... What they said, finally someone is able to present his world completely before any publishing via arts and music, able to grab the attention of anyone and present the whole world as the author imagined. And I get these responses since the site is up. So, did I really mistaken? Maybe yes, that's also a possibility, but the responses says otherwise at the moment. And all these people are potential customers as all of them are intending to buy the book.

I like when someone is telling his honest personal opinion and I respect this in you Gary. But don't draw me out as I'm rarely fail in anything. Also the world must sell itself, and all of us agree in this. According to our beta readers this world has a great potential as it's something what no one written before.

Istvan Szabo, Ifj.

Gopher. Yes. I know it's going to be a hard work, but we already got used to it. The world is in development a long-long time ago as the history of development is telling to the reader on the web's intro page.

Gary. On a way, we're helping the publishers as they don't have to create a new website or even they don't have to create arts for it. Even the illustrations and the cover will be made by me. By my opinion, we're just making the whole thing a bit cheaper for them.

Gary Kessler

I'm not going to argue with you Istvan. It's your throw of the dice to do as you wish.