HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    r k

Is everyone headed for the hills?

Quick question: Is it true that most agents and publishing houses take an unofficial hiatus in August? I'm ready to send out my query, but I'm wondering if I should wait until September. Thoughts?

RK

jayce

Re: Is everyone headed for the hills?

Some take off. Some take their work with them. Some stay home and get caught up.

There's never a good time to query agents, so don't worry about it. Send those puppies out. It's a long process no matter how you cut it.

Good luck.

Cathy C

No, not really. But the summer is both "conference season" and vacation time for employees. And, the publishing industry IS on the "summer schedule" of being off Friday afternoons. Few things actually get done in August because so many of the staff are out that the remaining people get overwhelmed.

But there's not an actual mass exodus from NY.

Gary Kessler

August and December are not the best times to draw the attention of agents and publishers. I know there are those who say it doesn't matter, but when you come back to a extra deep pile of work on your desk, how much more attention do you give to each transaction than you would in a slack period?

Andrew Smith

This is the kind of quick question where you'll get answers spraying from every possible direction, r k, and all of them will be reasonable. What Cathy says is true about publishers and editors. On the other hand, the agents I know are hard at work right now. So, if you're first going out seeking an agent I think it's a perfectly fine time to do that. Assuming you get an agent's attention right away, your manuscript still isn't going anywhere overnight. So, what jayce said. Get on it, and good luck.

Andrew

Gary Kessler

This is July, Andrew, not August. Everyone planning on taking off in August is hard at work in July.

Andrew Smith

It's July???

Gary Kessler

On the East Coast it is. I haven't checked California.

Keith .

Julio, Gary.