HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: POD?

stevenlabri τΏτ

Re: These times they are a changin'

The ladies doth protest too much, methinks.

Cathy C

Um, . . . wow. Stay off-line writing the next book for a few days and see what happens?

I'm another of those published people, and like to think I don't have my head in the sand for anything. I have commercial book, ebook, POD and small press in my lineup. I like to think they're all as good a quality. I wrote them, after all. But it's not the quality of writing that rules in the marketplace. It really is the distribution.

I'm a marketer, unlike the 99% of other authors I know. Many, if not most, authors are NOT marketers---even if they know how. They simply don't want to. I, however, want to. I've spent years learning both the craft of writing and the craft of selling books. What I've learned is that it flat doesn't matter how much you market a POD book. People just won't buy it.

Why?

Because 1) it's more expensive (people even squawk about paying the $6.99 price for our paperbacks. They wait until there's a $4.99 special or buy it at a used store.) Economy doesn't matter. It's sheer volume for most readers. They don't buy A book. They buy a dozen or more. Every paycheck. Without fail. So price is important.

But I don't know a single person who doesn't find bit torrent piracy sites to be the exact same as shoplifting at their local mall. Sure, slipping that lipstick into your pocket as you walk by is just as convenient. You don't have to wait in line at checkout, you save a few bucks for your latte tomorrow, and hey---if the store really cared if you did it, they'd have guards.

Pfft! You either have the tendency for sticky fingers, or you don't. The people I hang with don't, and never will. I'm grateful every day for the fans who contact me to tell me about finding one of my books on an epiracy site or during a Google search for me. They don't download it. They simply sigh and ask when our books will be AVAILABLE in ebook and Kindle format. The download books aren't "available" in their mind, any more than the lipstick is "available" when their wallet is empty.

Now, I don't have the same problem with POD that a lot of authors have. It's a great technology. But it simply isn't cost effective unless you're talking about print TO demand (where you pay for a hundred or thousand books to be printed to save set up costs) versus print ON demand. I simply can't offer a 250 page book for $6.99, even though my 400 page paperback is. I'd lose money on the deal, and I've got some good friends in the printing business. Major publishers buy paper by the warehouse-load. Not the pallet. They buy cover stock and ink at a rate I can't even fathom. So, my $14.95 novel, every bit as good as the others, just doesn't sell as well. Ce la vie.

Are ebooks the future? For some, yes. But not for others. I know plenty of 20-somethings and teens who simply don't LIKE ebooks. While there are plenty who do, not everybody ever will. I'll keep my options open and try pretty much everything. But so far, I'll stick with commercial publishing. All of my novels (fantasy/paranormal) have sold between 30K and 75K, while the PODs have languished at about 200. It's weird, but it's true. [shrug]

On with the debate.

Lily

"And stores like Wal-Mart, Costco...etc that do carry books, well often you have to fight through a crowd of people to even get close. I was at Costco this weekend, there were dozens of people molesting the books."

(LOL) What planet was this on? I have never, I repeat *never* seen anything even remotely similar happening around a book display. Electronics going cheap on Boxing Day, yes, books, er...no.

Lily

"But so far, I'll stick with commercial publishing."

Well why not, as long as it's still there? But, it's always wise to have a contingency plan. Never put all those little goodies that go with the bacon, in the same basket... :-)

stevenlabri τΏτ