HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sasha Wasley

Intro and question

Hi all,
    I like what I see here. I'm brand new so here's my intro.
    I'm Sasha, Perth girl, writer of YA fantasy. My novel is book 1 of a trilogy (of course) and I have some excerpts on a blog if anyone's interested:
    http://crossoverchronicles.blogspot.com/

I have a question already. I've been relying on various authors' associations to find lit agents and have been knocked back by one. I have the MS sitting with 3 agents at the moment. Cameron & Creswell have put it through the first round and I'm still hoping for their second reader to approve it. Barbara Mobbs is reading it at present (although I suspect it's not her genre) and Peter V. Spowart sent me a contract today.

Trouble is, I know nothing about this guy and can't find anything for or against him on the web. I know - I should have done this before! He advertises on WritersNet(which is where I found his contacts) but doesn't seem to have a website - so no record of clients or published books. Does anyone know anything about Spowart, good or bad?

I am a little wary after a naive query last week, yielding a highly positive result from a certain agency beginning with WL! Good thing I did a little homework after getting their offer

Thanks in advance! Email comments if you prefer. sasha3232@gmail.com
    Sasha

Arden Wolfe

Re: Intro and question

Welcome abroad.

I did a pretty heavy search on the agent. While I did find some 'interesting' items, I recommend you ask about his recent sales if nothing else.

That is all I will say about it here.

Wolfe

Arden Wolfe

Er ... aboard...

Jena Grace

If he advertises on this site, better run the other way.

mary riley

No legit lit agt would ever advertise on this site -- or need to advertise anywhere for that matter. If you found him/her on here, run the other way real fast. Probably could say the same thing about any agt who has time to post long diatribes here instead of working for his clients or reading manuscripts. Beware. It's a shady biz.

Cathy C

I can't find any sales over at Publisher's Marketplace for any of these agents in YA (any subgenre). That's a problem. Plus, all of Cameron & Creswell's listings are only for foreign rights (not direct sales.)

Have you tried The Knight Agency? Or Firebrand, Janklow & Nesbit or even the Steve Laube Agency? They're some of the top in the business right now.

Start at the top and work your way down. Always.

Sasha Wasley

Thanks Wolfe. I'm having serious doubts about this guy...however, he is offering me a non-exlcusive agreement so maybe I'll let him have a shot.

Sasha Wasley

Thanks Mary. And thanks for the heads up - I innocently assumed that agents advertising on here were likely to be legit. Now I see it's a free-for-all.

Sasha Wasley

Okay, thanks. Is the publishers marketplace something anyone can access? And it shows agents/sales, does it? Cameron Creswell and Mobbs are very well respected in Australia and Barbara in particular has some big names associated with her. But this other guy seems to be rather a nobody...

Sasha Wasley

Right. Point taken. Thanks!