HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    L Bea

NO COUNTRY!??!!!!

When I went to see NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, I could hardly stay until the end. Please shoot me, I thought. When we left, I told my family, "Mark my words, this movie is going to win tons of awards."

I knew it... (I always know everything). But I'm really PISSED I was right about THIS. What a worthless movie. WAAAAAAy to artsy and whatever hell else you want to call it.

Bea

L Bea

Re: NO COUNTRY!??!!!!

WOOPSIE! WRONG FORUM.

Oh well... Deal, people.
    Bea

Arden Wolfe

I just learned it was a book first...

Same guy who got a Pulizter for The Road.

Wolfe

Diana W

I know this is on the wrong forum, but I couldn't agree with you more. I thought this year's nominees were particularly "self indulgent" as Simon Cowell would say.
    With the exception of Juno, only Hollywood-people appreciated the other nominees.

And trust me, if you thought No Country was slow, watch There Will Be Blood. That entire movie lacked a plot. Danial Day was the only redeeming thing about it.

And yes, I realize that both these movies were adapted and that on some level as a writer I should support them. But a movie's a movie, and bad is bad.

A.L. Sirois

Hmm. Well, I liked the film. Didn't read the book. I enjoyed the ambiguity of it -- I like having something to talk about aside from "Gee, didn't Arnold kick some ass?" or "How many hankies did you use up?" My inamorata and I, both writers, agree on this. I do primarily genre work and she does contenporary-style fiction. Wha tcan I say, we liked it.

Perhaps you have to like the Coens.

Joe Zeff

I take it, Diana, that while you were watching [i]There Will Be Blood,<.l> you kept wanting to cry, "Accio plot!"

Jeanne Gassman

Haven't seen "No Country." Loved "Blood." Daniel Day-Lewis was riveting on the screen, and the conflict between his character and young missionary was great.

If you've never read Upton Sinclair (author of The Jungle), then you may not realize that he had a huge impact on regulating the food and drug industry. After The Jungle was published, there was a public outcry for the federal government to monitor our food and drug products. Hence, we now have the FDA.

The book the movie was based on, Oil, was a result of the infamous Teapot Dome Scandal. (Time to brush up on American History?)

Just my thoughts...

Jeanne

Joe Zeff

Ah yes, Teapot Dome. Author Larry Niven is one of the Doheny heirs, and the Dohenies(?) were up to their necks in that.

Diana W

I went to college. I read the Jungle and I know its impact on the food industry. But I don't see how that has to do with "Blood."

And while I haven't read "Oil" (it might be a great book), the movie that was based on it, IMO, was the slowest thing since dial-up. As I left the theater, everyone around me was saying "Daniel Day Lewis was good, but..."

I saw "No Country" the following weekend, so by comparison, I thought "No Country" moved at the speed of light.

Barnabus Jones

Wow, just wow. Those were two of the best films I've seen from major studios in years if not decades. I'm tempted to say you've failed as a writer if you missed the brilliance of No Country. Doubly so if you refer to Cormac McCarthy as that 'guy that got a Pulitzer'.