HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: agent responses

rick johnson

agent responses

Hello. I was hoping someone might be able to answer my questions (and maybe calm my frustrations). I have three different agents reading my novel manuscript. That's the good news. The bad news is that two of them have had it for about three months now and haven't responded. My questions are:

Is it a bad sign not to have heard anything? I've read about more than a few first-time novelists who got calls from agents fairly soon after sending their full manuscript.

Is it more likely that the longer it goes on that the agent is going to reject me? Does it mean that they're probably not that inspired by it?

Is there anything (anything!) positive about not having gotten a response in three months?

I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Wonky

Re: agent responses

You're reading way too much into it, man. Go have a beer.

Dave Salle

You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to anticipate how or when or if an agent will respond. Some are good about communicating, but many are not. But none of them will ever give you a courtesy status update until they are good and ready.

I've had full MS requested by agents, and NEVER heard from them - after a while, you just don't even think about it. Just keep polishing your MS, your synopsis, your query letter, and keep being persistent.

Beer helps too.

Johnny Ray

I think I will join rick for that beer. I have three partials out now for 3-6 months. I hope to have the next novel ready to submit soon and just keep writing. Only time will tell.

now about that beer !!!!!!!

Johnny Ray

A.L. Sirois

Hey, next round's on me. I've got a pile of queries out, and have had one request for a partial -- that got axed after a couple of weeks. But hey, life is good. Whatcha got on tap? I'll have a Patron chaser with that, innkeeper.

Johnny Ray

Since I am getting mixed reviews, perhaps we should make black and tans. Light beer on the bottom and large layered on top.

Johnny Ray

Joe Zeff

With my Type II, about all I can safely have is Frothingham's Pale Stale Ale, so light, the foam's on the bottom.

Cara A

I think I'm the only girl chiming in here who would like a beer also. I'll take an Amstel Light. I'm pretty low-maintenance in the beer arena

Anyway, I just wanted to add my two cents and say to be patient. I queriered probably about 100 agents, got five who were seriously interested in my proposal and sample chaps, and I got shut down by all but one. She asked me to come back to her with the finished manuscript because she had a lot of interest, but couldnt take me on based on just a proposal. Guess its scary to just go on one chapter..

So hang in there we're all in this together.