HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Keith .

How To Register a Domain Name

Google mostly returns sales pitches. Can anyone point me to some how-to/who to use material. Any personal or pro experience would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to build a site yet, just want to hold the name. Thanks.
    km

Joe Trent

Re: How To Register a Domain Name

Keith,

I used GoDaddy.com. The domain name is cheaper if you use their hosting, which is pretty cheap, too. It can be a little hard to navigate around, but you'll get it.

If you choose to do their hosting now, don't pop for the extra email accounts unless you expect to receive large volumes of big messages or you need more that five (I think) addresses.

Good luck,

Joe

Joe Zeff

Personally, I've had good luck at 1and1.com. Plenty of web space, a blog, photo gallery and something like 1200 email addresses (including a "catch-all" for everything else) for a very reasonable price.

Keith .

Does my choice affect my future web site usage/content, or does it just hold my name?

Jeanne Gassman

Keith,

It's like a parking space. You can put whatever you want there--as long as it's legal.

BTW, I use GoDaddy, too, for my domain registration and hosting. Their fees are pretty reasonable. You can take a look at my site if you want. I haven't done any updates too recently, and I managed to do something weird to the colors of the fonts (Don't ask. These things happen when you get too creative.), but it can give you an idea of what you get from GoDaddy's basic 5-page program. Go to:

<http://www.jeannelyetgassman.com>

GoDaddy's site:
    <http://www.godaddy.com>

I own the domain name as long as I keep the registration current. Just renewed it this year.

Jeanne

Keith .

I really appreciate the feedback, guys. Thanks.
    km

Robert Brown

Keith and everyone who reads this, Do not, I repeat, do not use Network Solutions to check whether a domain name is available for online use. They have a bad habit of "front-running." They take names you query them on and register them themselves. That means you can only buy the domain name from NS, and they charge quite a bit more per year than other companies. More can be found on this at the ICANN site. It's happened to people I know, and it's aggravating. I'm not saying other companies don't do this, too, as they might. If you already have a web hosting company, use their search feature when you add a domain to check availability.

Sam English

Also, remember it's a 2-part process. You need to register for your domain & aquire a host for your site AND you need to prepare content for your site and be able to upload it -- either with software or an online site builder. They are 2 separate things, but used in conjuncion w/ one another.

A.L. Sirois

Wow! A coworker just had this experience, Robert --

She says:

I HATE NETWORK SOLUTIONS.

I was on their site yesterday searching through the WHOIS for a domain I wanted to purchase. I found it and it was available, so last night I was going to purchase the domain using either godaddy or domainmonger. As it turned out, both of those sites said it was TAKEN but NS said it was available. What happened was, Network Solutions put a hold on it so I was forced to buy it via their system. What kind of @!#$ is that?? There has to be some law against this BS.

$34.99 for an f-in domain name!!

Keith .

Wow, that sucks. I had searched on something but don't remember where. It wasn't NS because I got my domain yesterday. WN really needs a sticky section. Robert's and A.L.'s posts illustrate this need. Hell, Ann would merit a sticky thread of her own.
    km