HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Brittie .

Agents for Latin American Writers

Hey -- I miss Writers Net. It's been such a long time. I have had to return to my day job which takes up time and energy, but I hope the word world isn't lost to me forever.

Okay: Agent Question. I know a writer in Colombia who's published a nonfiction book at Random House. He is trying to find an agent in the US who reads Spanish and would consider taking on his book. He's known in Colombia, and from my guess may be a rising star. But his English isn't great. So I told him I'd try to help find some agents he can approach who take on Latin American writers.

Any ideas? How should he go about searching; and does anyone have any names to suggest?

Thanks so much -

Brittie

Robert Brown

Re: Agents for Latin American Writers

Have him try the larger agencies. Most have people who can read Spanish because they sell Latin American rights. Many publisher also have editors on staff who handle Spanish language translations. In fact there are now books being released simultaneously in both English and Spanish. William Morris or Writers House might be a good place to start.

Wonky

Does he have an agent in Colombia? Don't agents deal with forgeign/translation rights?

Carmel C

My thoughts exactly, Wonk. Perhaps he wants a better agent?

Brittie .

I didn't get into the details of his agent/publishing life in Colombia. Cracking the American market, can't be easy. He has contacts w/ some of America's best but busiest writers, and I reckoned if he asked me to suggest some agents he can contact, then those writers who are far more knowledgeable and connected than I am, can't spin names off-hand. Really, for him, identifying the absolutely correct agents is better than contacting in large numbers. Hence he's trying to find names.

I emailed a friend of mine who does foreign rights for an agency in London and even she wasn't sure who to suggest off hand, tho I know she will come up with something.

Getting to the right person takes time and care, and coming from a foreign country even w/ good resources, is not as easy as the machinery suggests it could be.

Hence I thought there'd be a chance that someone on Writers Net might know of an agent who takes Latin Am authors.

These are some good comments/suggestions so it's a start. Thanks.

Robert Brown

Sorry Wonky. I thought that maybe if I gave a hint as to where to go, Brittie would take the hint and go there. This is from William Morris site. The have offices in London, NYC, Los Angles, Miami and Shanghai. This was copies from their Miami office:

The William Morris Agency is the only full-service agency located in the capital of the Latin entertainment industry servicing clients across its Television, Music, Motion Picture, Books, Commercial Endorsements, Corporate Consulting, and Digital Media Departments in both Spanish and English. Additionally, the Miami Beach office has become an invaluable and prominent bridge for Latin American broadcasting and production companies looking to do business in the U.S.; and for American companies looking to expand their operations throughout the Spanish speaking world.

119 Washington Avenue, Suite 400
    Miami Beach, FL 33139
    Phone: 305-938-2000
    Fax: 305-938-2002

Wonky

Hi Robert. I was just wondering if his current agent would be able to do anything...though I have no idea how agenting works in Colombia.

Brittie .

Thanks Robert Brown.

I am sorry to say I didn't ask him much about his agent; I'm not sure he even has one there in Colombia. Random House is his publisher. I have no idea how it works, why RH don't make the decision on whether to publish in the US. Maybe they think there's not a good enough market (it's about a Canibal so you'd think there would be). Maybe he has been rejected but wants to try a smaller publisher. I will find out. I'm curious now.

Brittie .

SORRY! I got my facts wrong, I went back and reread the email.

Okay, so Random House DO want to publish it in NY. BUT - they have told him he needs an agent.

SO - he is asking around for agents who speak Spanish bc his English isn't quite good enough for all that needs doing between an agent/writer.

So the question is: Does anyone know of an Agent who speaks Spanish?

Phew.

Brittie .

Re: agents for Latin American Writers

SORRY! I got my facts wrong, I went back and reread the email.

Okay, so Random House DO want to publish it in NY. BUT - they have told him he needs an agent.

SO - he is asking around for agents who speak Spanish bc his English isn't quite good enough for all that needs doing between an agent/writer.

So the question is: Does anyone know of an Agent who speaks Spanish?

Phew.