HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Wonky

Being sucessful by publishing non-traditinally

Ok guys. Is it possible? Is it possible to be a successful writer if you are published non-traditinally?

Sail Away

Re: Being sucessful by publishing non-traditinally

Define successful.

-SA

Kitty Foyle

Right, everything is relative (re SA's post).

Wonky, doesn't it depend on how much time and effort you want to put into the marketing? You gotta get yourself known -- "out there."

Ever see the Judy Holliday movie where she rented a huge billboard just to show her smiling face? People started recognizing her on the street and she became famous -- and maybe rich to boot.

<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047123/>

Did you say you had a POD book published through Xlibris? Seems I read that somewhere.

*_*

Wonky

Ok. For this discussion, "successful" means that other people would consider you a sucessful writer.

Wonky

Yeah, I did an Xlibris book back in 1999 back when I was young and didn't know any better. I spent about a year marketing it and sold about 100 copies--probably about 1/3 to people I knew. I wouldn't consider that sucessful.

I've heard of POD books getting picked up by a traditional publisher--but what I want to know is there any example of a sucessful writer who has NEVER been picked up by a publisher? Successful implies name recognition and money, I'd think.

Jeanne Gassman

I think it's possible, especially if you write nonfiction and already have a platform. Historically, if you look at some of the most successful self-pubbed books, they follow this paradigm. Many times, these books are also riding on the coattails of a new trend (think Celestine Prophecy).

The other side of things, of course, is that it all falls on the author to make the book a success. He has to promote the book, establish a platform, create the press, get the book into the readers' hands, etc. It's a tough haul.

I'd rather be writing.

Jeanne

Wonky

I probably should have specified fiction. With non-fiction, people usually buy for the subject matter, not the author.

Kitty Foyle

Can't think of any right off the bat, but yes, am pretty sure there have been a few "names" (other than what Jeanne posted). Would have to do some some sleuthing.

(BTW, I went the same route as you. I had a NYC agent who couldn't convince the biggies, so dumb/lazy me just figured I'd get it the 'ell out there.)

Re Jeanne's post: I loved The Celestine Prophecy. As I remember, there were questions as to whether it was fiction or nonfiction:

<http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcelestine.html>

*_*

Wonky

Heh. I didn't even bother to get an agent. I sent out a handful and didn't get much of a response. Then I found out about this great new thing called POD. Alas, if only I'd know about WN in those days!

Looking back at the book, the story itself was good, but the execution was pretty poor...lots and lots of exposition, much of which had NOTHING to do with the story.

Mark Phillips

Wonky the only one I can think of is Kevin Trudeu or however the hell he spells his dumb name and that 100 natural cures "they" don't want you know about. Of course that is non-fiction and he was like an infomercial guru before and had Tammy Faye Baker behind him and all that. I seem to remember somewhere that a famous author started out by selling his book door to door, but I don't remember who it was. I'm trying to look it up now, but am not getting anywhere. Hell, maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.