HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    jean smith

the new york literary agency

hi everyone

the new york literary agency sent me and email stating they

wanted me to send them a copy of my manuscript by email.

can anyone please advise me if they know anything about

this agency.

i would really appreciate any help on this being i cant

find anything about them anywhere.

thanks

Rodya Conte

Re: the new york literary agency

Here we go again. On the supposition that you question is a serious one, use the search engine on this forum, and type NYLA into it. Otherwise you are going to unleash the dogs. RC

Mya Bell

Judging by the proxy and the way this is written, I assume you're yanking our collective chains.

If not, check Preditors & Editors, Writer Beware, agentquery.com, the AAR Website, and the WritersNet archives, and forget about New York Literary Agency.

--- Mya Bell

Ann Crispin

If you couldn't find out anything about them, it was because you didn't look.

I think this letter is bogus. Nevertheless, just in case, it's "Once more unto the breech, dear friends..."

WRITER BEWARE'S 20 WORST AGENCIES LIST

Page updated: 8/28/06

--------------------------------------------------------

Below (in alphabetical order by last name) is a list of the 20 literary agencies about which Writer Beware has received the greatest number of advisories/complaints over the past several years.

None of these agencies has a significant track record of sales to commercial (advance-paying) publishers, and most have virtually no documented and verified sales at all (book placements claimed by some of these agencies turn out to be "sales" to vanity publishers). All charge clients before a sale is made--whether directly, by levying fees such as reading or administrative fees, or indirectly, for editing or other adjunct services.

Writer Beware recommends that writers avoid questionable literary agencies, and instead query agencies that have verifiable track records of sales to commercial publishing houses.

While the 20 agencies listed here account for the bulk of the complaints we receive, they're just the tip of the iceberg. Writer Beware has files on nearly 400 questionable agencies, and we learn about a new one every few weeks.

We'll updating the list from time to time, as questionable agencies sometimes change their names, or sprout clones. Be sure to check back regularly.

The Abacus Group Literary Agency
    Allred and Allred Literary Agents (refers clients to "book doctor" Victor West of Pacific Literary Services)
    Barbara Bauer Literary Agency
    Benedict Associates (also d/b/a B.A. Literary Agency)
    Sherwood Broome, Inc. (also d/b/a Stillwater Literary Agency, LLC)

Capital Literary Agency (formerly American Literary Agents of Washington, Inc.; also d/b/a Washington Agency and Washington Literary Agency)
    Desert Rose Literary Agency
    Arthur Fleming Associates
    Finesse Literary Agency (also d/b/a/ Elite Finesse Literary Agency)

Brock Gannon Literary Agency
    Harris Literary Agency
    The Literary Agency Group, which includes the following:
    -Children's Literary Agency
    -Christian Literary Agency
    -New York Literary Agency
    -Poets Literary Agency
    -The Screenplay Agency
    -Stylus Literary Agency (formerly ST Literary Agency, formerly Sydra-Techniques)
    -Writers Literary & Publishing Services Company (the editing arm of the above-mentioned agencies)
    Martin-McLean Literary Associates
    Mocknick Productions Literary Agency, Inc.
    B.K. Nelson, Inc.
    The Robins Agency (Cris Robins)
    Michele Rooney Literary Agency (also d/b/a Creative Literary Agency, Simply Nonfiction, and Michele Glance Rooney Literary Agency)
    Southeast Literary Agency
    Mark Sullivan Associates (also d/b/a New York Editors and Manhattan Literary)

West Coast Literary Associates (also d/b/a California Literary Services)

Copyright 2006 Victoria Strauss and A.C. Crispin. May not be reproduced without permission.

Rogue Mutt

You couldn't find ANYTHING about them? Sorry, I just fell out of my chair.

Dave Kuzminski

Jean, how did NYLA get your name and email address? Did you contact them first? If so, I'm glad you stopped to think before getting deeper involved with them.

Now stop and back away slowly while keeping one hand on your wallet. When you are a safe distance from them, look for a literary agency that doesn't advertise. You can do that by visiting sites that list literary agencies. Some sites even give you recommendations on who to avoid and who is legitimate. Just remember, if you see any agencies advertised in little boxes at the top or side of the screen, you don't want to talk to them.

jean smith

WOW! I am speechless! I joined this forum because I honestly could not find anything on this agency. I never in my dreamless night of dreams thought I would get bomb barded with such rude and hostile replies.

#1. I loved the reply by the way my question was asked I was yanking chains, geez, how the heck am I suppose to ask a question without asking it.

#2. I recieved the email in Nov. and as badly as I wanted this to happen I was soooo leary because of the body of the email which stated they had no real offices but traveled in 3 diff states, that they had no phone number etc. So I began serching by all the means I knew how.

#3. I guess I am not as smart as the people here, being
    you are accusing me of either not looking at all or making u fall out of your chairs.

so here I am ready to scream because I thought maybe just maybe this time someone was really interested, and by the fact that i have been trying to paste that stupid email onto here for 30 minutes and am aparently to stupid to do that also, so for the sake of my good name if anyone of u would like to email me at micricleshappen@yahoo.com and tell me where to forward the email so u can paste it on here thats fine.

anyway
    thanks alot everybody

Dave Kuzminski

Jean, your question about NYLA is frequently asked in this forum. About once every month. Sometimes more frequently. Often, it's brought up by one of their posters just to get the free publicity for them and to make it look like they're being pilloried when we're only exposing them for what they truly are.

Now, did you contact them first?

jean smith

dave

I contacted them first i found them while doing a serch for agents or publishers accepting new work. thier site stated they never charged up front fees so I filled out thier form and waited. Two days later they replied stating they were interested in my work and wanted me to send them my manuscript. Needless to say I was thrilled, but as I started reading the very long email they sent me I became very leary and started trying to find out anything I could but to my dismay I could not find them anywhere. I have forwarded the email they sent to me to u at the email address u have showing here, would u please read it and let the people here know I was telling the truth. thank you

Mya Bell

Jean, if you had typed "new york literary agency" into Google, you would have seen thousands of entries from people immediately describing it as a scam agency.

You also have to admit that using an aol proxy and no email address on your first post (and a Yahoo address on your second post) and having several spelling errors in your post makes it look as though you are only pretending to be a newbie. We get such shenanigans a couple of times a month from our resident "trolls."

But if you are a legit writer looking for information, then explain to me how can you honestly say you couldn't find anything about this agency when there are more than 11,900 hits for it on Google and probably comparable numbers on other search engines like AOL, AltaVista, etc.? I'm not being snide. I'm trying to understand how people can miss such widespread warnings.

--- Mya Bell