HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Mya Bell

Writing Forum take-down hits mainstream ...

When literary agent Barbara Bauer contacted the site hosting the Absolute Write writing forum with a threat that they were violating the Millenium Copyright Act by publishing her email address (which is publicly listed on her Website), the host took down the site with only an hour's notice, according to news that's been spreading through the blogosphere since the site was removed.

Absolute Write has found a new home, but the data hasn't been returned to the site administrator.

Now the controversy has hit the mainstream news feeds and is getting hits on Google News:

<http://techsearch.cmp.com/blog/archives/2006/05/dmca_takedown_a.html?loc=government_legal_regulato ry>

--- Mya Bell

Jeanne Gassman

Re: Writing Forum take-down hits mainstream ...

You might find this to be interesting reading:

<http://jccordray.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemi d=2>

Jeanne

M. Robin

Care to complain about your Intellectual Property Rights (posts on AW) being held? Check this out:

http://www.ic3.gov/

Carol O

Please hold off on contacting the FBI/Federal regulatory agencies. They're a good last resort, but their standard procedure is to seize data for "safe keeping", and it'd likely be years before AW gets it back.

It should be known in a few days how much wasn't rescued from cache.

Jackie Kessler

It is interesting, Jeanne. Jenna has commented on it in the temporary AW forum (under News and Updates):

http://www.rogerjcarlson.com/forum/w...um/default.asp

Charlotte

"You might find this to be interesting reading:"

I did, Jeanne, very…and it just goes to prove there is more than one side to every story. The most telling line for me is undoubtedly “(Little did I know how cruel the members of this community really were.)” And by golly he’s got it right there.

Some very ugly types, with a lynch mob mentality hang out at AW. If one disagrees they attack like a flock of vultures. And “Queen” Jenna comes across as an arrogant twit with a god complex. Quite honestly I’d rather take my chances with those they are hounding and harassing.

The point remains that they have “Absolutely NO Write” to bad mouth anyone based on the hearsay evidence of the discontented. Seriously, this is very scary stuff. Trial by a bunch of neurotic and frustrated writers. Ms.Bauer and PA today, and who knows who tomorrow? That's a lot of power in the hands of the unelected, who have no official capacity whatever, and therefore no one to answer to.

And it’s too bad that this negative aspect of the site has all but eclipsed the good it has done.

M. Robin

Thanks Carol O for setting the record straight on the FBI deal. Too bad you can't edit these posts!

I've seen Jenna politely remind posters numerous times NOT to attack fellow writers. She's also banned members for posting attacking comments on Publish America writers' websites. To me this is not the behavior of someone who's "out to get" people who don't agree with her.

Barbara Bauer was exposed by Writer's Beware on their 20 Worst Agent's list. AW published the list along with many other websites who were also threatened by BB. Lots of writers have been "saved" from signing a Publish America contract thanks to AW. I think they provide a great service to writers everywhere.

Cathy C

Trial by a bunch of neurotic and frustrated writers.

I'm sorry you believe this. I haven't found this to be the case at all.

Cathy

Charlotte

Cathy

Just try saying one word in defence of PA. There was a particularly virulent poster-- can't recall her handle, but she had a dog in her avatar -- who spewed hatred like a psychotic nutbar. She kept repeating that PA had stolen her dreams...(LOL) Sounded like she needed a dose of laxative and some quiet time in a padded cell.

Jackie Kessler

Charlotte, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at AW. Granted, any community that's 7,000 members strong will have its share of people who are less than professional. The same could be said for this forum as well. But it's the wealth of knowledge and information that people generously share that makes any writer's community worthwhile -- and hopefully, that's enough to overlook the occassional less-than-kind post.

You wrote:
    >> The point remains that they have “Absolutely NO Write” to bad mouth anyone based on the hearsay evidence of the discontented. Seriously, this is very scary stuff. Trial by a bunch of neurotic and frustrated writers. Ms.Bauer and PA today, and who knows who tomorrow? That's a lot of power in the hands of the unelected, who have no official capacity whatever, and therefore no one to answer to.

"Hearsay." Hmm. Well, given that JC Hosting flat-out said that Barbara Bauer contacted them AND AW said that Barbara Bauer contacted JC Hosting, that's not hearsay.

"Neurotic and frustrated writers"? Well, I know I'm neurotic. Periodically frustrated. So I guess that's OK. Of course, that's speaking just for myself.

"PA"? Er, no, this wasn't about Publish America at all. Of course, AW had perhaps the most exhaustive case against Publish America and why it takes advantage of its authors, so I'm sure that PA authors are tickled pink over AW's temporary shutdown.

"That's a lot of power in the hands of the unelected, who have no official capacity whatever, and therefore no one to answer to." Unelected? If you don't like AW, don't join the community. There are plenty of other writing communities available.

"No official capacity"? I'm not sure what you mean here -- what sort of official capacity? A good number of AW members are published, and a good number are not. Just like many writing communities. Could you explain what you mean?

"No one to answer to." Again, what do you mean? Barbara Bauer complained, JC Hosting acted, the plug was pulled. I'd say that was action, wouldn't you? Now, granted, many of the stranded 7,000 members have complained, and a good number of them are working to relaunch AW and to spread the word about what happened. A one-sided account, you may say. Sure. JamesC and Stephanie posted their accounts. AW posted its account. Believe whom you want.