HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    A. R. Pike

<laugh> Exclusive on Partial.

So an A+ agent just e-mailed me asking for the first 50 pages exclusively. I had to laugh. No one asks for an exclusive on a partial! Or at least nobody gets it. So my question is, how should I word my cover letter? I have two partials and a full out now and have ten other queries out (I've been getting over 50% positive responses, so I imagine I will get a few more requests.) Should I just say something like, I don't offer exclusives on partials but if you request the full we can discuss that? I don't mind offering a short exclusive on a full, but I am so not going to offer one on a partial. Will she be offended by that? What do you think?

A.R.

grace ~

Re: <laugh> Exclusive on Partial.

Let her know in your letter to her that you cannot offer an exclusive because others are already reading but you look forward to her thoughts on the partial (that you will include in your envelope to her). She WILL skim it and if she really likes it, will contact you to go further. If she doesnt like it, she will prolly say "OK well, sorry then I cant read it" and be done with it.

Only one agent (out of 5) who has requested an exclusive declined to read a partial or proposal because I couldnt offer exclusivity.

In the very least you can say "I will not offer representation until I have contacted you with the possibility for representation" or something like that.

Mya Bell

I don't think she'll be offended. If she is, she might not be the right agent for you, but most agents are reasonable people and are not offended by reasonable requests if presented in a professional manner.

Maybe you can say it something to this effect:

Dear [Agent's Name]:

Enclosed, please find the partial for __[name of novel]______, as requested on _[date]___.

I'm sorry I am unable to grant an exclusive on a partial, but if you are interested in reading the full manuscript, we can discuss it.

etc., etc. [You might want to include a juicy quote from your query here to tweak the agent's memory ...]

--- Mya Bell

M. Robin

Just be polite and apologetic (hee hee) that you can't possibly give her an exclusive at this time. I know it's tempting to laugh in her face, but you might regret it later. Keep us posted!

William Watson

Yeah, what they said. Whatever arrangement you want, but be polite; courtesy costs nothing and makes it more likely people will enjoy dealing with you.

Bill Watson
    Broken Lance Enterprises
    Stroudsburg, Pa.

Stan Udal

You guys are hiliarious. A+ agent asks for an exclusive on a particle and your going to--what? Laugh in her face. It's no wonder everyone here gets all excited when someone gets an agent. Yet I've been reading posts here for months now and I never here about anyone getting published. I'm wondering if attitude might have something to do with this. Okay, I'm going to say this again and I hope that someone gets it this time. You see, it's a buyers market out there. Agents could give a big rat's ass what you think. In a buyer's market, the buyers (this included agents) get to tell you what to do, not the other way around. So laugh. However, he who laughs last laughs laughs least.

Mya Bell

Stan said: "Yet I've been reading posts here for months now and I never here about anyone getting published."

Stan, I just got royalty checks for three books.

And what about Iris, Minnie, Greg, Richard, Cindy, Ann, John M. and other published authors on this site?

--- Mya Bell

leslee

"Okay, I'm going to say this again and I hope that someone gets it this time."

Yes, please repeat it again, Stan, because you're the only guy here who gets it, and the only real writer, the only published author, the only . . . whatever.

Daniel James Brown

I agree with Grace, Mya, et al. It's not reasonable to provide an exclusive on a partial. I understand Stan's reluctance to suggest anything that might offend a good agent, but a wrtier has to draw the line somewhere. Remember, agents haven't got anything to sell without us.

And, Stan, note that I've got a book coming out in May and that it has just been selected for Barnes and Noble's "Discover Great New Writers" program.

Best,
    DJB

readme38 W

"And, Stan, note that I've got a book coming out in May and that it has just been selected for Barnes and Noble's "Discover Great New Writers" program."

Wow! Kudos to you!