HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Gina Panettieri

Re: Oprah Supports Frey!

Thanks, Leslee. I doubt that anyone's really had a storybook life, so you take what you're handed and deal with it. If I were to look for some good thing to have come out of it, I think it's the fact others feel they can come to me and tell me their own stories. It was okay for the prom queen to tell me her boyfriend was hitting her when she couldn't go to anyone else. We're all wounded. It's what comes later, what we do with it, that counts.

And now I work in a field where writers have to really dig into raw emotions, and 'open a vein' as the saying goes, and I like to think, I hope, I can help them do that.

Mark Siet

Gina, thank you for you sentiments. I echo them back to you. I have suffered senseless tragedy in my family and you are right it doesn't compare with the loss of my friend.

What comes through for me now is you. I know much more about you from these exchanges than I know about him. I know that you are kind, sensitive, and direct.

I carry my dear departed with me whenever I think about them. They live on in my dreams and my thoughts. Nothing I believe is lost forever. What lifts me up is knowing that they are always with me.

As far as our current 'cause celebre' I had one purpose with my posts. I wanted to show that the anger and frustration people were feeling was something that they end up manufacturing for themselves. Your rage becomes debilitating like eating at McDonald's for thirty days will tear your insides apart. That's why I have to say no to pursuing those avenues of expression which may prove harmful to my psyche.

In hindsight I apologize for even bringing up my friends death. I was making a point and was caught up in the very frenzy I was cautioning others to avoid.

I will always welcome the pleasure of your company.

Mark

Gina Panettieri

Thanks, Mark. I echo your sentiments back to you. And never apologize for sharing something that was important to you. You were, are, making a point.

Sometimes, though, rage can be a powerful tool for change. I find unexpressed rage, or undirected rage, damaging, but focused at a problem, and acted upon as an instrument of change, it can be an amazing thing. The clamor of millions of outraged voices can drown out the mind-numbing bland acceptance piped at us daily.

Take care.

SpookyDude

The clamor of millions of outraged voices can drown out the mind-numbing bland acceptance piped at us daily.

To a point this is true. I was in London when gw dazzled the world with an invasion of a sovereign nation. The mood wasn't pleasant and many people demonstrated their discontent with these actions. If I remember correctly, literally millions of people across the world joined in to express their outrage.

What happened? History. Just another thought (not to change the core subject).

Jon

Gina Panettieri

Quite true, Jon. Not every effort will be successful. But wasn't it good and right and proper to express the rage, to at least try to effect the change?

Ah, well, we've been wandering off topic. Best to you, Jon.

SpookyDude

Gina,

I'll try to remain on topic, lying wasn't it? Believe it or not, Ukrainians and/or Russians don't have the same angst that we Americans purport. Many people from the former soviet bloc countries, including Bulgaria, think lying is perfectly acceptable. I had one woman tell me "Everyone lies, so?" Of course, she was my finance and carrying another man's baby at the time, but that's another story.

Americans invented the "Little White Lie" and when I was a kid, I always heard others say "It was just a little lie."

We don't like people to lie, but we lie daily -- if not about our weight or appearance -- then surely about the co-worker or boss. Outrage at lying? Our independence began with a lie (Boston Tea Party) to King George. The Declaration of Independence was has several lies within its passages (All men are created equal) while slavery was rampant.

See, lying for liberty or money makes no difference. We were created to lie, as our nature to survive, is just what Frey did -- it was his human genetic inheritance.

Bye,

Jon

SpookyDude

P.S. My editor said "was has" isn't correct and suggested one or the other.

Mark Siet

Gina:

I agree that unexpressed rage is damaging and that we need to light a fire in order wake up out of our complacency. It was this kind of thing which ended the Vietnam War.

Those millions of outraged voices could make a difference today in saving the lives of our children dying over there.

It's a matter of where we choose to make our stand. You can do much more than I in terms of not accepting fabrications in the stories you pass up as true to your non fiction contacts. In a sense this is your front line. My front line is to keep seeing what is good everywhere. My theory is that by focusing my intention upon a better world each day I will one day find myself surrounded by this vision. I am not an innocent by any means. I played music full time between NYC and Philadelphia for over fifteen years. Believe me the liars and the con artists were rampant. Invariably they would get their due.

I think that if you can avoid holding on to this rage you will feel better. It depends upon the degree in which you express it either as anger or frustration. Only you or anyone who holds these feelings can make that determination. If it goes down like water okay. If it gives you adjida...

Mark

SpookyDude

Mark,

I hate to say this, but the war protests didn't end the war in Vietnam. The Paris accords which were signed by all the interested parties marked the demilitarized zone between North and South Vietnam. We (President Nixon) believe the North would keep their promise (they lied) when we left Vietnam to remain in the north.

The war protests didn't have too much impact on how Nixon decided to get out of Vietnam. The millions of young and old alike didn't just one day march into Washington and demand we pull out of Vietnam. Years and years went by while thousands of Americans died, but still we were entrenched in Vietnam. If we had not received assurances from North Vietnam that they wouldn't invade the south, I doubt very seriously we would have withdrawn like we did.

Lies, all of them. The leaders of countries do it much better. Frey's lies didn't kill anyone, yet. Maybe he learned that a little lie can't hurt as much, just so long as nobody finds out. Maybe we continue to support liars, even though we say differently, and allow them to live off of our worst fears because we can't stomach the truth without some pain.

Who knows if Frey's lies helped more people than they hurt? Bottom line is that whatever he told people was the same truths we've learned to live with since this country was founded. So what's the big deal?

Bye,

Jon