HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ~ Palmer

Oprah Supports Frey!

I think too much is being made out of all of this. True he 'lied' in his book, but I have always seen Memoirs as a grey area between fiction and non-fiction. I feel the same about autobiographies and biographies. Take what you want out of them and leave the rest.

Frey's 'million little pieces' was about the message of drug and alcohol addiction.

Way to go Oprah for supporting that!

~Palmer

A Roby

Re: Oprah Supports Frey!

After Oprah called in and expressed her support for Frey I knew that the whole interview had been staged, set up by people with a cash cow to protect.

I can’t tell you how depressing I find this. The public seems not to know the difference between fantasy and reality, as long as they’re entertained.

A Roby

By the way, I'm a recovering alcoholic, and part of the recovery process is to tell the truth--not "the essential truth," as Frey kept saying. Just the whole truth. You know, the kind other people without multimillion publishing contracts use.

Annie Meier

Oprah doesn't care whether it's true or not and yet, I saw the clip from her show where she said she kept stopping to look at Frey's picture on the back and remind herself that this guy was all right ... that he had made it through his ordeal. What a crock. I'm officially not mad anymore, since all this has just been proof that the almighty dollar trumps everything else. Business as usual.

What's the point of getting my panties in a twist about something I already knew?

Annie

Prince Louis Richard de la Pau

It sounds like a whole load of people are going to be jumping on a bandwagon and making a wad of cash along the way.

What a shame it isn't one of us!

William Watson

Surely this is an extension of the subjective nature of reality these days? If this is what he believes reality is, then that's what reality is for the rest of us. We each get to define it and everyone else must nod heads and agree. Whether or not these things actually happened is apparently irrelevant. And those of us who are still living in a reality based existence are so five minutes ago.

Sounds like a definition of Bedlam. :-)

Frey, by the way, is now qualified to write speeches for neoconservatives in positions of public and private power, who say they will define reality and that's what reality will be. He just did.

Bill Watson
    Stroudsburg, Pa.

Prince Louis Richard de la Pau

Nice one, Bill!

Does that mean I can now officially declare that I'm Audrey Hepburn and everyone will be dazzled by my loveliness?

Excuse me while I fly over to Givenchy for a dress fitting...

Jake S

I am stunned.

In my other life, I'm a science professor. We've had our own high profile fraud cases recently, and we try to convince our students that they are abberations. But how do we teach our students the importance of objectivity and honesty when everywhere they turn someone is rewarded for lying? I don't care about Frey--there will always be people willing to push the limits. What makes me sick is the powers that be winking at such behavior--in fact using it to make money. When the system is corrupt, people like Frey will always rise to the top.

Oprah should be ashamed, as should Frey's agent and publisher.

Winnie Willard

I haven't read the book but as I understand it, its great message of hope for other people who suffer from addiction is that, "see how bad I was and I was able to get over it." If the book is made-up or many parts of it, then the struggle to recover from addiction is still there. It was not conquered by Frey, only in fantasy because he really didn't go through these things.

Rozinante

Oprah SHOULD be ashamed. I'm very disappointed.

As Roby said, someone truly in recovery tries to be truthful. Oprah should know that, with her 4 zillion years of experience with self-help stuff. She should also put two and two together that someone whose entire way of life is about lying and grandiosity is NOT helping other addicts.