HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
    James Macdonald

Re: What do I do now?

Do y'all remember Debi DeSantis back on 09-28-06?

<BLOCKQUOTE>Boy oh boy you are very bitter. I am a writer and I do spend all of my time writing but I occasionally take some "me" time as well. It is amazing how much negativity you have towards NYLA. Are you angry because they didnt want your work or did they take thousands of dollars from you and run? I dont think that they would still be going by the name New York Literary Agency if they indeed have been as crooked as you and some of the others are saying. you can find them all over the internet and if people were being scammed I am sure that they would be under investigation by now. </BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a bit of followup:

First, no, no one's bitter because NYLA didn't want their manuscript. It's hard to come up with a manuscript that they don't want. (They offer a contract to everyone via autoresponder.)

No, they don't take "thousands" of dollars (unless maybe for the edit). What they take: $80-90 for the "critique," some amount for the "edit," then $150 for the web page, then $90 for the "aggressive agent" program. If you don't bite on a particular one, that's okay -- they'll just hit you up for the next. They make a hundred bucks here, a hundred there, times thousands of writers. It adds up. As Debi says, "[The contract] says nothing about the editing process being free." Which is as it should be, since the edit is where they make their money.

They aren't still going by the name "New York Literary Agency." They've changed their name to the "WL Literary Agency."

They are under investigation in the state of Florida. If you are a Florida resident and have had any dealings with the New York Literary Agency (or any of the other agencies operated by the same people), please contact the Florida attorney general.

As for Debi herself, she self-published her book through Lulu.com (ISBN 1430319984) last month.

Michelle Brown

My experience with The New York Literary Agency went a little further than what has been posted. I first signed on with them last year. I did do a search with BBB and there was not much on them at the time. I signed a contract, paid for the critique ($85), paid for my own editor ($750). (Most editors I spoke with charge by the word, page or by a flat fee). After editing, I went into the data base for several months. I contacted them after 3 months and told them it was time to get more aggressive. I was then signed up for the AA program (Aggressive Agent) which cost $95 to notify 5 publishers and $175 for 10. I elected for the five. This fee is suppossed to cover the amnistration fee for mailing your manuscript and query letters to publishers.

Actually, I have e-mails from four different people claiming to work for NYLA. Nicole-- Aggressive agent program; Leslie-Admin, GeorginaC-Senior Editor, and Marta-Admin. My earlier emails did come from Sherry.

I was told that 2-3 weeks after I send payment, I will receive a query letter that I would need to approve and a pitch list. I received the query letter 4 weeks afterwards. According to an email from Nicole, I needed to wait for the pitch list (List of Publishers.) I e-mailed her back to let her know that I wanted tracking information of the publishers that my manuscript was sent to. Her response was that the information would be provided to me 2-3 weeks after the mailing.

After receiving the query letter, I started researching them again and found a bunch of disturbing news. I immediately e-mailed them to cancel my contract and also requested my $95 dollars back. I cc all listed above. Two days after my cancellation I received the pitch list from Nicole. It took her another day to acknowledge that I had cancelled the contract. I received my \'official\' statement of cancellation today from GeorginaC. Of course, it still hasn\'t been mentioned about the $95.

I really don\'t know what to expect, because not only have I spent money on this company, I have spent valuable time. It has been a full year and some months.

Whoever signs on with them do not let yourself be talked into the the LFN database. You could sit there for months, with no publishing contact.

I wish everyone luck in their endeavors.

Michelle Brown

My experience with The New York Literary Agency went a little further than what has been posted. I first signed on with them last year. I did do a search with BBB and there was not much on them at the time. I signed a contract, paid for the critique ($85), paid for my own editor ($750). (Most editors I spoke with charge by the word, page or by a flat fee). After editing, I went into the data base for several months. I contacted them after 3 months and told them it was time to get more aggressive. I was then signed up for the AA program (Aggressive Agent) which cost $95 to notify 5 publishers and $175 for 10. I elected for the five. This fee is suppossed to cover the amnistration fee for mailing your manuscript and query letters to publishers.

Actually, I have e-mails from four different people claiming to work for NYLA. Nicole-- Aggressive agent program; Leslie-Admin, GeorginaC-Senior Editor, and Marta-Admin. My earlier emails did come from Sherry.

I was told that 2-3 weeks after I send payment, I will receive a query letter that I would need to approve and a pitch list. I received the query letter 4 weeks afterwards. According to an email from Nicole, I needed to wait for the pitch list (List of Publishers.) I e-mailed her back to let her know that I wanted tracking information of the publishers that my manuscript was sent to. Her response was that the information would be provided to me 2-3 weeks after the mailing.

After receiving the query letter, I started researching them again and found a bunch of disturbing news. I immediately e-mailed them to cancel my contract and also requested my $95 dollars back. I cc all listed above. Two days after my cancellation I received the pitch list from Nicole. It took her another day to acknowledge that I had cancelled the contract. I received my \'official\' statement of cancellation today from GeorginaC. Of course, it still hasn\'t been mentioned about the $95.

I really don\'t know what to expect, because not only have I spent money on this company, I have spent valuable time. It has been a full year and some months.

Whoever signs on with them do not let yourself be talked into the the LFN database. You could sit there for months, with no publishing contact.

Michelle Brown

Richard Todd

Re: What do I do now? rwtodd@sympatico.ca

I did the same things a few years ago but I never thought that they were robbing me or using me at all.

The agency actually worked for me since I was hounding them once or twice a week. I wanted results from them, and I didn\\\'t sit around to let them take advantage of me.
    They did the work, they sent me everything that I needed and I checked if they did contact each publisher.
    I ended up with their sister company which has been nice to me, and I got last names. I demanded to know who I was talking with, who they were, their background and where they were from.

I forced them to get results as I still do with Eloquent Books. The only thing is, I\'ve noticed that they have been giving me little money.
    rwtodd@sympatico.ca
    I collected each and every e-mail, if I want I could sue them but I won\\\'t. I only have seven years with the company and I\\\'m making them work, it\\\'s the only way to get through to them.

I was bumped up to the LFN database, I have spoken with more than a dozen publishers. Real publishers and these stupid self publishers, now I won\\\'t send a manuscript to either of them.
    I know seven years is a long time, and I can move on but until they fold I won\\\'t be giving them anything in that time.
    I\\\'ve done hounding both company\\\'s, plus I\\\'ve made some contacts along the way. Though I need a new agency to work with.

wendy maddocks

Re: What do I do now? rwtodd@sympatico.ca

call me stupid but i was blinded by the glitter of rewards for my work. it seems that the glitter was only brightly coloured plastic. i got scammed by the screenplay agency as they callled themselves. they had my manuscript and a critique fee, not bank breaking but still... after reading this forum i have asked the critique guys for my money back and am feelinng very foolish. i am normally quite savvy with scams.

i'm not canccelling my contract yet because they might not do anything anyway so theres no point. thanx for the warning before i spent any more time on them.