HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Jay Hurd

Do I need an agent?

I am a newly published author and while my publisher has done a wonderful job in producing my book and it is available on the market, it is not getting the attention from the public I feel it deserves and am starting to consider looking for an agent to help me market the book. To get this done, what kind of agent should I look for, or can anyone suggest a good agent, perhaps in the Chicago area?

Sakamonda

Re: Do I need an agent?

There are no literary agents in the Chicago area, except for one small agency that reps primarily romance novelists. Most agents are in NYC and vicinity. The location of the agent in relation to you does not matter, but the agent must be able to interface with the NYC publishers. BTW, I live in Chicago and my agent is on the East Coast. I've never met him face-to-face, but he is repping my book to NYC publishers.

Wonky

Agents get you book contracts. I don't think they do much with marketing the books.

jayce

Wonky's right, Jay. Agents don't market books to the reading public; they earn their money selling unpublished works to publishers. I hate to say this, but you should have researched Publish America before you signed with them.

Wonky

Uh oh. Yeah, if you went with PA you're screwed. You can't even get a real publisher now--doesn't PA keep all rights for 7 years?

Jay Hurd

Thanks, I'll have to look at publicists then.

To answer Jaycee, I did research PA before choosing them and I was well aware of what I was getting into and I do not regret my decision. To this extent, I went to my brother-in-law who runs a recording studio and is very knowledgable in contract negotiations. He looked over the contract with PublishAmerica and saw no problems with it and said that if I was comfortable with the contract, then I should go with it.

I knew going into my contract with PA that the publisher offered very little in the way of marketing the book. They are a publisher and not a publicist. Thier responsibilities were made very clear in the contract which I signed and accepted. However, contract obligations will not prevent PA from marketing books even if they state they are limited, and they are looking at ways to improve their marketing (yes, I have some inside information, but will not share it unless allowed, please don't ask).

Again, thanks for the responses.

Jay Hurd

PA maintains publishing rights for 7 years, that is much is correct, and is entitled per contract to 50% of ancilary deals (movies or publishing to other media). However, the author does maintain exclusive rights to the material and PA, by law, can do nothing with it unless they have the author's approval.

Sakamonda

Yes, I wasn't going to say it, but it sounds to me like you got suckered by PublishAmerica. It is the PUBLISHER'S job to market your book, not yours. Next time, you'll need a legitimate literary agent to rep your book to legitimate publishers who will market your book for you. And it would probably be best not to mention to agents you have published a vanity-published book with PublishAmerica, because doing so will hurt your reputation greatly.

Jay Hurd

Sak; how is PA a vanity publisher? Isn't a vanity publisher where you give them a manuscript and a check and they print x-amount of books for you, and offer no services other than that?

Sakamonda

Jay, you are a sucker if you believe you got a good deal w/ PA. You're in for a very rude awakening. And consider your publishing career over before it really starts if you think PA is going to help you----legit agents and publishers won't touch you with a ten-foot pole if they find out you once vanity-published with PA.