HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Vicky Scott

Humour at the Expense of Another

Further to the Autobiography thread:

Mr.Fenton was asking a legitimate question. He posted his enquiry on a writer's message board, because he was looking for a writer to help pen his autobiography. There is nothing strange or untoward about that. He did not ask for criticisms or reviews on his monument design. But that's what he got, in spades.

This kind of pack mentality is most disturbing. It usually begins when an "alpha" bites and the rest of the herd follow excited by the smell of blood. It would be prudent to remember that there is a real live human being at the other end of the keypad. And although it might seem amusing to savage them for sport, for every action there is a reaction.

If the person thus tormented is at all unstable, he is likely to turn his ire on someone close to him. How would you pack rats feel about being culpable for that sort of a crime? But then, because you probably would never hear about it, you can always assure yourselves that it never happened. Or, that it could happen.

After taking a look at the monument design, the fountain of death and so forth, you should have realised that these grotesques were the brainchild of a disturbed mind. Therefore, sympathy and tact were what were called for here. Not the sadistic taunting and ridicule that were meted out instead.

ray garmon

Re: Humour at the Expense of Another

Vicky, As the wise man said to the camel, "Get over yourself."

Roy Abrahams

Ray.......In this instance, I think the wise men would walk away without wasting their breath.

Roy Abrahams

Is it possible that this new thread is nothing but another attempt on this person's part to incite further dissension on these boards? This is not the first time such dredging up of old bones has been done by him/her. Although he/she enjoys calling others "alpha" etc. when they post words he/she deems asocial, he/she is always up to throwing out a bone with very little meat on it.

Back to camels, Ray..... I think he/she rides one.

Glen T. Brock

Hello folks,

I have to agree with Vicky on this issue. We all have a monster sitting on our shoulder. It's pride. Regardless of the sophiscation or lack of it, we all think our thoughts, skills, and projects are top notch. Criticism can be a touchy subject. Sarcasm can be incitful.

There's no such thing as a stupid question. I think that goes for honest answers as well. That doesn't mean I'm against humor. I like to laugh too. But it's better to laugh with someone than to laugh at someone.

Glen T. Brock

Mark Madison

The man was laughed at, no question. He invited much of it.

jayce

Yeah, but nobody said he had a "disturbed mind."

Simon Says

Mark's right.

Donald invited much of it. He didn't just come in benignly asking for advice to find a writer for his autobiography. He came in quite full of himself convinced he'd win the commission for the memorial design comp, convinced he'd be famous.

He promoted his website - which included his design that some found so insensitive to the feelings of the victims' families that they couldn't even believe it was for real (i.e. a fountain of death w/red water) . He basically flipped the bird to the non Christian victims, again insensitive.

He called those who didn't think he'd win retarted.

Yes, He invited much of it.

Brady Boyd

Comments like Finally, Only a retard would think my design wouldn't be chosen, gain my full ire and sarcasm. Sorry, Glen...you're message is wise and good, but the original message and follow-up posts by this person were ripe with pompous and abusive remarks. We all reap what we sow.

Brady

Vicky Scott

The man was laughed at, no question. He invited much of it.

But he's not - in the vernacular - playing with a full deck, Mark. There are obviously delusions of grandeur there, as well as a split from reality.

And if we can poke fun at someone who has mental problems, is it okay to do the same with a physically disabled person?

Somehow, I don't think so. For that would be terrifically incorrect politically. And all the fire breathing lefties, would be savage in their indignation. ;-)

There is a double standard here that is disturbing. And one just hopes that those who subscribe to such hypocrisy are never in a position of power. For Yikes, there goes democracy, folks.