HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Brittie

Printed or Published

For those who may be interested, MJ Rose has an exceedingly informative, insightful article in the Nov/Dec issue of Poets & Writers about the need for writers to be pro-active every step of the way, after signing with a publisher. Has anyone read this? She calls 'printed' authours those who've been put into print by a major publishing house, and 'published' authours those who've succeeded in getting attention for their book, despite the attentions, or lack of, from the publisher.

Gary Kessler

Re: Printed or Published

I see no reason to find a substitute for "promoted." I think a better deferentiation between "printed" and "published" is who selects and who pays for the production. Release by yourself or PA is "printed"; release by Random House is "published." Promotion is a whole other matter and phase in the process.

Gary Kessler

P.S.: I also find the supposition that a decent-sized publishing house would give an author an advance on a book; pay to have it prepared, produced, and distributed; and then not protect its investment by promoting the book at its natural promotion level downright ludicrous. We had this notion up to the eyeballs during the Blip era, and it was--and remains--a really, really dumb and myopic idea. The point in contention seems to be the concept of "promoted at its natural promotion level"--every author thinks their's is the book to end all books and deserves to be promoted on the Times Square billboard of lights 7/24. But most of them are wrong and just a tad bit too subjective about their own book.

Gary Kessler

P.P.S: MJ Rose is a master of self-promotion in the publishing business, of which good on her--but, this being her major shtick in the business--it's hardly surprising that she would present it as something everyone just has to have more of or has to take control of. It's what she's selling.

Iris

Gary, I gotta tell ya, I'm nearly in tears laughing. You are on a serious roll tonight, and it's what, only 7:30 your time?

Gary Kessler

My other choice is editing a book on religion and the courts for Cambridge University Press--and I know what you think of academic presses.

Iris

Academic presses have their place....I just hope their not my place anymore. But they sure make my hubby happy. His most recent book is with Cambridge. For what that's worth.

Minnie Mouse

*Ahem*

My mother is an editor at CUP, so we (the royal one) think very highly of it, thank you very much. :-D

Roy Abrahams

Gary.I recall the main thrust of the "Blip" debacle: that no publisher will promote the work of a first time author; that in not promoting, the publishers are deliberately setting up that new author for failure (he called it "tanking"); that they do this so they have an excuse to not buy further works by that author.

But the author of the book under attack did go on to write a sequel to her first novel. And the first book sold well. And.......and........and.

Her success was all it took to dispute those moronic contentions.

Gary Kessler

The argument is just as crazy in the aggregate as it is in the specific, Roy. If the publisher wants its first-time authors to tank, what dolt would argue that the publisher would sign the author in the first place and invest in her/his book venture. (Take head, knock head on wall. Say ouch. Repeat.)