HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    A Atkinson

The long, long, loooong road to publication

I\'ve completed steps 1-10 of being published.
    1) Actually finished a novel, plus 2 screenplays.
    2) Edited, re-wrote and edited again.
    3) Threw those versions away and re-wrote some more.
    4) Submitted screenplays on zoetrope & triggerstreet where they were given fairly good praise.
    5) Re-wrote.
    6) Found a jim-dandy query letter template.
    7) Spent months sending letters to every Tom, Dick & Harry listed any where -- seriously, including the bathroom wall.
    8) Got seduced by 2 scammers (which I spotted before we got too intimate).
    9) Re-wrote.
    10) Started taking up drinking to add to my \"creativity\". This could\'ve been step 2... can\'t remember because my head is splitting.

WHO DO I HAVE TO SLEEP WITH JUST TO GET SOMEONE TO REPLY??? THEY DON\'T EVEN HAVE TO READ IT! JUST FLIPPING REPLY!!!!!

Anyone know of a friend of a friend of a neighbor back home?

Thanks for the venting.... AA

Brady Boyd

Re: The long, long, loooong road to publication

I'm on revision 489 of my first book. Stop whining, ha ha.

Seriously, though...it's tough, but if it were easy, like wiping yer rear, it wouldn't be any fun. Look at it as a challenge.

Brady

A Atkinson

A reply! Someone read something I wrote. I love you!
    I need a tissue now.

Hugs,
    Allie

Pauline Drummie

Know the feeling. My books are supposed to be my salvation from hard-street but everywhere I turn I have to spend money. First of all it's a video to keep the kids quiet while I write. Then it's the ink and paper. Then it's envelopes and a fortune on postage. And what do I get in return - we are not accepting any more submissions at present - so you can have it back again. Will someone just keep the copy and dig it out of the draw one day so I don't have piles of my own work sitting, waiting to be mailed again !!!

Gopher Gold

Glad to see we're all a mellow bunch, content to watch the seconds tick by as we gracefully age and remain, as always, unpublished.

Jackie Kessler

Let's see. I first had my brilliant idea for a novel when I was 18.

I became an English & American Lit major and took a creative writing workshop every year.

I founded my own creative writing workshop and ran it for four years as I slaved over my brilliant novel. (Meanwhile, one of the members of the group went on to take first place in that quarter's Writers of the Future contest. I was so proud, and so flippin' jealous.)

Finished said brilliant novel and began to query publishing houses and an agent. (Right. One agent. Who would dream of saying "no" to my brilliant novel?)

Started rejection file. (To this day, I have only one "personalized" rejection letter for my novel. I think I have roughly 80 form letter rejections/no responses.)

Began the joy of rewriting and revising.

Now, 9 complete rewrites and 16 years (yes, 16 years) later, I believe I have something ready for prime time. Waiting to receive agent feedback, which may come as soon as today (for real. This agent took notes while reading my full manuscript). So maybe--MAYBE--I will have some REAL feedback.

Morale of the rambling post: I'm picking up what you're putting down!

Jackie

john folsom

A. Atkinson, lets see, who to sleep with. That might depend on whether your a man or woman.

Julia Nicole

If it were me and an editor offered to buy my book in exchange for me sleeping with them, I'd sleep them regardless if they were male or female.

Jackie Kessler

"Morale"? Ugh. I think I need way more coffee...

Pauline Drummie

who's offering to sleep with who? - sod buying my book !!!