HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Sharon Ihrig
    Guest

    Editor vs publisher

    How does an editor differ from a publisher. I've written my manuscript and sent out close to 30 query letters and I've been close to this market for almost 20 years but I cannot remember the difference. Please forgive me for this bad question.



  2. #2
    Rozinante
    Guest

    Re: Editor vs publisher

    I'm not sure I understand your question but here's some information.

    Publishers are companies that purchase manuscripts from authors (via agents). They publish the story and sell it to consumers in book form.

    Editors are people who work for publishers. They are usually responsible for buying the manuscripts.

    Within a publishing company, somebody is the chief hooha---his/her job title is "publisher."

    Editor is also a term that can be applied to other persons. In the newspaper business it means something different and in the TV business it means something VERY different.

    Within the publishing business an alternative to the acquisitions editor (the person who buys books for publishers) is the editor who changes a manuscript by making corrections from typographical errors to structural storyline defects. The person who does this kind of editing could be in business for themselves; could be your agent; or could be the same person who bought your book (the acquisitions editor!); or could be someone who works for the acquisitions editor.

    Confused enough now?!

  3. #3
    BPM Smith
    Guest

    Re: Editor vs publisher

    I suspect you're wondering about publisher the person as opposed to the company.

    There are people who are publishers just as there are editors, and a publisher in general has an investment in the book, news service, or magazine. An editor is simply a paid staff member.

    At a book publishing company the editors decide which books to buy, edit it to whatever specifications, etc. In a news room the editor gives assignments, edits copy, etc. There's also alot of inbreeding among the titles of course.

    Example: at my news job I'm technically an editor but 80% of the work is as a reporter. The other 20% is copyediting, sending news leads to reporters, and ranting during meetings... And also feeding bananas to my pet robot-monkey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts