HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ele Anon

Radio Show Proposal

Hi all,
    Has anyone here ever written or pitched a proposal for a radio show? Who would be the appropriate contact? Would a typical literary agent handle contacts for an on-air personality if it included the possibility of selling books?

Thanks,
    Ele

Rozinante

Re: Radio Show Proposal

Radio and publishing are completely separate industries. If you have a specific radio personality in mind, such as Rick Dees or Howard Stern, you would go through their theatrical agent to reach them or through the radio station.

It is highly, highly unlikely they would be interested in a show idea from someone they never heard of though. Radio just doesn't work like that.

If you are thinking of comoing up with a radio idea featuring yourself, you have to sell yourself to a radio station.

Good luck.

BPM Smith

Hi Ele. I host a radio show at a small station that's a 2 hour program of drum & bass and what I call word & bass -- spoken word timed to electronica music.

In my case, my sister knew the program director which got me a pitch meeting. I wrote the show's premise and pitched it to a few guys at the meeting and they gave me the show a week later. That was 2 years ago and I'm still do it.

Without having the inside track, you'd probably have to pitch radio executives individually. There are booking agents but they mostly handle club shows and radio appearances, and won't pitch your show idea to any radio stations.

In your case, record a sample that would serve as an example of your proposed show and/or get recordings of any radio you've done previously. Then find a directory at whatever radio station you're interested in and try to get them on the phone or via email.

Ele Anon

Rozinante,

Thanks for the advice!

Ele

Ele Anon

BPM Smith,

Sounds like you did what I have in mind. As you know, it's not always what one can do, but who you know in the industry. I'm working on the contacts now and developing a proposal. Sounds like a demo CD is the way to go on this and that was a part of the plan.

We have a talk show station locally that is part of the Clear Channel group, so there could be an opportunity for a larger audience in the future, assuming all goes well.

One of the ideas I have could involve celebrities. Any advice you'd be willing to share about making those contacts would be greatly appreciated. I've worked with local talent for filming, but not any big name stars. If you'd like to share ideas, I'll be happy to give you my email address.

Thanks for the input,
    Ele

BPM Smith

I'd go for a smaller radio station that's not part of Clear Channel where you might have better odds but also try CC simultaneously. and yes, a demo CD is what i meant.

If you don't have a studio at home there's likely a bunch near you if you're in Tuscon or Phoenix that charge by the hour. Rehearse several hours before buying studio time. Even with hours of practice I spent 8 hours in a studio that charged by the hour trying to cut a 60 minute demo and by the end I was totally fried and had burned alot of cash.

As for meeting the right people, thats tough and would come by putting yourself in their environment. When I want to DJ at clubs I just go to parties and meet other DJs and managers, then end up getting more shows.

If you get the show, you'd want to find the publicists of dozens of celebrities, who you'd then pitch on the awesome benefits of being a guest on your show. The phone, internet searches and email would be your biggest friend for that.

Rozinante

Clear Channel owns plenty of small stations. Buckets full. A small station owned by Clear Channel or Belo or some such would be ideal. If you ripen on the baby station, they will pluck you off the vine and syndicate you in an instant.

Glen T. Brock

Hello folks,

Neal Boortz, syndicated talk show host headquartered in Atlanta, owes his career to being in the right place at the right time.

In the early days of talk radio (the 60s)WRNG radio was the talk show king in Atlanta. Their best host, the most provocative and controversial they ever had to that point, decided he needed to blow his brains out before coming to work that day. When the manager announced the grim news that the reaper had gotten the rapper Neal, who had just come to Atlanta, was listening. Known as 'Nasty Neal' by his acerbic comments previously aired on the show, Boortz, who had been a college debating champ at his school in Texas, called the station and volunteered for the job. The station manager was desperate and Neal got the job. He hasn't missed a paycheck in the last 40 years.

Glen T. Brock

Eve

Are you thinking commercial or public radio? What's the content you have in mind, if it's not giving it away?

William Parrish

Hello, folks:

I am new here... first post... and an Agent/Publisher up here in Shauck, OH on a 200+ acre farm in a c1860 house.

We are affiliated with Clear Channel (that\'s about as vague as I can get) and have been in and around the media/radio biz for over 30 years.

I would be glad to take a peek at wachagot. Always lookin for a new spin.

Best regards.

William Parrish
    wparrish@gmipublishing.com