HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Dee Power

Just to be clear

There was some discussion in response to an earlier post of mine that implied I was 'selling' something. I'm not. You can't even buy our book until March 2005.

I posted the early results of our agent survey because I thought the members of writers.net might find them interesting. Your comments also served as a bit of a sounding board. I would agree that most agents, or assistants to agents, probably don't spend 15 minutes on an unsolicited submission (query letter/proposal/sample chapters) I suppose I was being a bit charitable.

Dee

CarolO

Re: Just to be clear

Speaking of selling, how's your current book doing?

<http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes>

Laura W

Dee,

Thanks for your posts; they were interesting. I'm ashamed to admit I didn't realize at first that the poster was also the conductor of the survey. I'm not usually so rude right out in the open. I prefer the cowardly brand of rudeness.

-Laura

Dee Power

Current book meaning "Overtime"? Well let's just say the publisher is a deterrent to sales at bricks and mortar stores. The books are nonreturnable and priced a bit high, even for trade paperback. That was a decision we both wish we could rethink.

Sales overall through our own efforts are reasonable.

"Overtime" did get good reviews and we have even gotten 'fan' mail from several people who have purchased it.

Dee

Dee Power

The results of our surveys are fascinating to me. We have finished surveying agents and editors, including editors at major houses. We've just started a survey of independent booksellers.

Two of the questions on each of the surveys are essay, and believe it or not people take the time to respond. Several of the questions are related to the publishing industry now, so they will be available in article format in a month or two.

The questions related to the characteristics of successful books will have to be saved for our book, "The Making of a Bestseller."

We are also interviewing by phone quite a few bestselling authors. Their candidness has given me hope we'll get our fiction published.

Dee
    http://www.BrianHillAndDeePower.com

CarolO

Thanks for answering, Dee. I hope things pick up for you.

CarolO

And only now do I realize that the link didn't work. *sigh* But yes, I meant "Overtime". And again, thanks for answering.