HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Five to Ten

dawg

Five to Ten

A major agency has asked me to send a five to ten page detailed summery of my novel.

I have to fess up here. So far what I have written is terrible, I mean it is very bad. I quickly realize I have no talent for writing a detailed summery of my book. I can write a killer query letter and I'm pretty good a loglines but to describe my book in detail, for me is next to impossible.

Anyone have any tips or a website where I can read up on how to write this darn thing?

Thanks,
    dawgy

Wonky

Re: Five to Ten

Yeah, writing a summary is about as much fun as slamming your head against a wall of spikes for three hours without stopping.

If he wants 5-10 pages, I don't think he wants a synopsis. It sounds more like a chapter outline--for these, you'll have to squish each chapter of your novel into a paragraph of a few sentences. It might be worth it to e-mail him and ask exactly what he wants.

dawg

Ok, chapter outlines. I thought that might have been what he/she wanted but they didn't say that specifically.
    I think I can do a chapter by chapter with no problem.

Man, to write a detailed summery is...well, wow, impossible. I found myself jumping all over the place, putting too much here, not enough there, and where in the world would you put dialog which in many cases is vital?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will just do a chapter by chapter and submit.

dawgy

Wonky

I know how tough it is, I had a ton of problems with mine. Think of it as writing a mini-synopsis of each chapter. You really do have to drop specific details and dialog. Also make sure it's all in present tense. It sounds weird but that's how it's done.

Sponge Bob

Dude, at least learn how to spell it.