HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Jack Kazanski

Re: Jack

But I guess that was my point. I got my answers from Wonky and Sarah H. You, in your charming way, hammered home the point a tad unnecessarily. You didn't tell me anything new so I suppose I'm confused why you even bothered responding.
    I had recognized my "no" already (and clearly acknowledged it)

Dave Kuzminski, Preditors and Editors

Did you send it to the attention of the agent who asked for it? The rejection could have been sent by someone who wasn't part of the initial decision. Then again, that individual could have been overidden by his partners who might have to approve things jointly.

Greg

Are there any stray marks or smudges on the page? Sometimes even a coffee stain, or the faint aroma of cologne or perfume may provide a clue about what they really have in mind. Also, was the letter sent with a postage meter, or a stamp? The picture on the stamp they chose can offer a hint about their inner thoughts.

Or, you can just forget it and move on until someone takes the trouble to dignify you with a real communication.

leslee

Jack, I have a suggestion.

I received a similar rejection by email. I wrote back and said I respected their opinion, but I wished they'd read a bit more of the book before they declined, since they said they did like my writing. They emailed back and said, you're right - send a few more chapters. So I did.

You might try that. Can't hurt.

Nell Gavin

I know what agent that is! I got that EXACT SAME LETTER!

Sage

Interesting Point, Greg

I received a rejection after a publisher requested my ms. From the bent page corners I could tell they hadn't read past the first chapter. I then reviewed the heck out of the first chapter to see why they didn't go on to chapter two. Unfortunately they were right -- it just wasn't written tightly enough. Although not happy about the rejection, I was glad of the opportunity to revise it. Some more.

Gibby

Re: Interesting Point, Greg

leslee is right. Agent's #1 function is to test your resolve; if you can be told no, they'll tell you no every time. If you believe in your project so much that you can find a new angle to bring back to them and make them look again, then that lets the agent know that you care more about your project than you do for their opinion, which is sassy and excites them. (Sometimes. I know this doesn't work every time.)