HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Julie Shapiro

Book doctor soliciting me

I just received an email from someone that found my listing on this site. They offer a book doctoring service to supposedely help you get your book and book proposal ready for an agent. Their website reads like marketing fluff. I write marketing fluff for my clients in the day job, so it's easy to spot.

I don't want to mention their name because maybe they are legitimate and I'm just put off by their approach and their website.

Julie Shapiro

Re: Book doctor soliciting me

I just went through their website. They list one client. Under financial terms, they don't say how much. And they mention they don't charge a reading fee. But there is some gray area that sounds fishy.

I'm tempted to write them to just find out their bluff. Maybe I'm getting too cynical.

Mary M.

If I were you, I would delete their message and not communicate, unless you're interested in having someone rework your manuscript -- for a price.

Keep in mind that you did not solicit their attention and they are surfing for business.

I tend to be harsh about such contacts, so pardon my bold and presumptious comments.

Trisha

Just tell them your book isn't sick and you don't need a doctor! -Trisha

Wonky

I think a lot of people who become "book doctors" are people like us--people who dream of being published (or even failed at it!) There's really no way to know how competent this guy is. I used an editor once, but I had to get sample edits from A LOT of people before I found someone who knew what she was doing AND didn't charge an arm and a leg.

Evil Genius

Tell them they're too late that you need a book mortician.

Julie Shapiro

Thanks everyone. My gut tells me this person is a con artist. I will not contact them at all.

leslee

I've used an editor, but they didn't come looking for me. I had referrals from people I trusted before I turned my ms over to the editor. I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't go with someone who was soliciting over the internet.

Jill

Unsolicited emails from internet editors usually means one thing----scam.

A good place to find good editors is through the National Writers Union. www.nwu-action.org

Greg

If you want an editor, go find one, and get some testimonials about them. Why be tempted to work with a book doctor just because he or she contacted you first? Having your manuscript edited is a great idea, but the implicit promise that a book doctor can hook you up with an agent (or editor) is an old trick. And it's a dirty one.

When I need a medical doctor, I don't respond to the ones who have solicited me through email. (Somehow, those spammers all seem to specialize in something I don't really need).