Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Agnes Grace

Re: Your Query Letter

Roy:

I am and I did.

Agnes

Roy Abrahams

For Mirth

Great feedback there. Kinda like show, don't tell, huh?
    I'm really inclined to use your example verbatum with one small exception: The locus is Larimer Street itself. The alley does, however, play a pivotal part in the story.

Many thanks for the trouble you went to to highlight your ideas on the QL's presentation.

Regards........Roy

Robert Neville

Re: For Mirth

Roy, it still sounds like a synopsis to me, though a good one. Sounds like you've read Kerouac at one time or another, too.

Roy Abrahams

Robert.....Your Kerouac comment intrigues me. Mind telling what you see that would indicate my familiarity with him? I ask mainly as I have very little knowledge of his work although in researching Larimer I did learn that he and Ginsberg and other Beats congregated on Larimer back in those days. Using that, I put some of Jack's posters in the room kept by one of the characters.

As for the synopsis, I think the original post could be expanded to serve that purpose. Using the input here will probably give me a good QL.

Kerouac..hmmmmmm

Robert Neville

Roy, you answered your own question to a degree. If I recall from college correctly, (a long time ago) in Kerouac's 'On the Road', as 'Sal Paradise', Kerouac makes references to Larimer Street as the place where 'Dean Moriarty', aka Neal Cassidy, grew up among flophouse drunks, panhandlers and prostitutes.
    Much of Kerouac's work is quasi-autobiographical; rather good reads, except when one realizes the man drank himself to death in pursuit of a rather hedonistic lifestyle.

Roy Abrahams

Robert.....here's something Neal and Jack would appreciate: One of my first characters for this story was a wino who lost both his legs just above the knees while a young boy hopping a freight. Now, Eddie, just arrived on his own. And he did so before I read in my researching that Neal and his father had a friend named "Shorty." Shorty had lost both his legs above the knees hopping freights. Is there such a thing as coincidence or was Jack's spirit sitting on my shoulder dictating to me?

Yes, Neal grew up in the pool halls of the Larimer district. And Jack went on record as saying there was nothng finer on a hot day than to be on Larimer where they served beer in fish bowl sized mugs. You've seen them. I've drunk out of them in my day.

Another yes: this one on the tragedy of Jack drinking himself to death. He was truly one of the handsomest men ever to walk the streets of Denver. And his mind was acute to a point not often reached by persons coming from his background. All we can do is be thankful he lived long enough to write what he did. But finding copies of his works is hard.

I couldn't find reference to Jack being on Larimer in 1955 or I would have had a scene with him in one of the bars holding forth with Neal and Allan Ginsberg.

Well, that's life.

Robert Neville

Roy, Sounds like a good read. The shorty thing strikes me as an odd coincidence, I'm not a very spiritual dude myself, but hell, maybe Jack was there dictating. Now, go henceforth and sell it so we can read it, good luck!

Gibby

Robert: 'except when one realizes the man drank himself to death in pursuit of a rather hedonistic lifestyle.' -- does tat really take away from Kerouac's stories? I think not.

Roy Abrahams

Gibby.....I don't think Robert was saying the value of Kerouac's work was diminished by his drinking. Rather, he was lamenting the fact that Jack drank himself to death, reducing his productive years and thereby denying us more of his good writing.

Robert.....My only claim to being "spiritual" involves my embracing an unpopular attitude toward the pain and grief brought to mankind (a generic term, ladies) by organized religion. Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, spoke for me back in the 16th century: "There is more in heaven and earth than is dreampt of in your philosophy, Horatio." With that in mind, I'm inclined to accept manifestations of "unnatural" things with greater ease than those limiting themselves to credos demanding thoughtless adherance to restrictive dogma.

Ah......life!