HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Abby

is it bad to hand deliver?

Hello all!

I, like many here, am frustrated by the costs of photocopying and mailing out a (for want of a better phrase) "big ass" manuscript to agents that request a full after just a query. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited they want to read my whole ms, but in my experience if you are going to get rejected, they only read a tiny bit of it and then I've spent all that money on postage etc. I've also had a few experiences where my SASE was not even used... argh!

Anyway, my question - I live very central and a few of the agents who have requested my full are reasonably close by. Does it look bad to hand deliver my ms? I don't mean sticking my head in the door and saying hello, i mean just dropping it through the mail box without any stamps... want to save the postage, but don't want to look desperate or stalker like...

?

Brittie

Re: is it bad to hand deliver?

What's wrong with walking through the front door and telling the receptionist your material has been requested, you live/work nearby, and you're dropping it off? Everyone knows postage adds up, so why would that be held against you? Likewise, I don't see anything wrong with mentioning that you'd be able to pick up the ms, if necessary. I think that's very reasonable and Good Luck!

Mary M.

I agree with Brittie and applaud your creative thinking. Good luck with "the read."

A Writer

I've done it before. Provided you act like an adult, agents don't seem to have any problem with brief personal visits.

Rozinante

Must agree. Brief and cheerful, no apologies.

Eve

I did query an agent who wrote on her homepage, 'Do not drop it off.' Perhaps she has had an author who tried to muscle his/her way in, but if you're professional and truly do just drop it off without demanding an audience I'm sure any other agent would understand.

Wonky

Sure, the office is fine. Just don't drop it off at his house! That's a scary no-no.

Brittie

It's unlikely the agent would waltz out to reception to greet you; that would be dumb luck (her appearance at reception). Perhaps the person who said no hand-delivered ms has something to hide ie an office that is something other than what she claims. Whatever.

Robert Raven

Great idea. Unfortunately, when you live in Alaska, as some of us do . . .

RR

Jill Hughes

Yeah, I'd say this is fine, as long as you don't abdger the receptionish to have all the agents come out and meet with you. Just drop off the packet politely like you were a mail carrier yourself and be on your way.

I wish I lived in NYC so I could do that. Would save me a lot on shipping.