HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Splat

Holmes Literary Agency

Has anyone heard of a literary agent by this name? Are they any good?

Splat

Holmes Literary Agency

Hello? Any takers on this one?

CarolO

Re: Holmes Literary Agency

I seem to recall a possible conflict of interest with an editing service. Have you've searched this forum? Folks have asked about them before, I know.

CarolO

Have you've...sheesh. *smacks forehead*

CarolO

In apology for the above typo, I bring you links!

<http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealh.htm> A great first stop for "yeah or nay" info.

<http://sfwa.org/beware/agents.html> For general help on finding an agent, and yet more links.

Terri

I haven't heard of them but if it's the John Holmes Agency..I'd say they have a long history of satisfied clients....(sorry...couldn't resist)....

;-l

Ron Starkey

Terri,

A "long" list? My, girl, but you ARE bad!

:-))

Ron

Splat

Carol, you are so kind... the links were extremly handy, especially the second one. I am a total novice, so novice in fact that I only recently stumbled across the writer.net site. I have so far submitted my yet to be completed manuscript to 12 agents. Two came back with very possitive responses. One is wanting me to sign a contract now, the other prefers to wait until I am finished. I don't know if I'm just having the luck of the devil or whether I've picked up on 2 shady agents but I do need to do my homework first (obviously have my solicitor check out the contract too) and be certain that I'm with the right firm. I know I should be excited etc., but I prefer to make certain all my ducks are in a row before I pop the cork. And now of course, the second link you send me raises the question as to whether or not I do need an agent. I have been led to believe that the agents is meant to act as the go-between, mentor, etc. and also have a strong of publishing houses to approach on my behalf... all of which is going to cost even more for me as I'm based in Europe :-( Any advice or suggestions would obviously be most appreciated. I thank you in anticipation.

CarolO

Well, let's start with the basics. Is this a fiction or non-fiction work? What's the genre and/or subject?

Splat

My summary says "Follow the life of a young South African child during the height of the apartheid era. Meet her right-wing religious fundamentalist family. Share in the close, yet forbidden, relationship with the African maid and meet the teacher that shaped her future.

See her through her formative years to adulthood, share in her traumas, adventures and ultimate victory over the odds. See Africa’s corruption, crime and violence through new eyes.

Actual event inspired this novel. It is based on documented political fact and at times, expresses strong political views. The author changed the names of private individuals’ to protect their identities; but public figures not."

I am not sure if I can say thats its fiction because its not. Although some events have been "dramatised" for effect. What genre would that fall into?

Best wishes.