Thread: Contract?

Hazel

Contract?

I just got an agent for my novel. In the phone
    conversation I asked about a contract. The agent
    said we could do that, but the relationship is most
    important. I said fine with me and the conversation
    moved on. The agent is reputable, long established,
    mentioned here frequently and usually favorably.
    Is it uncommon to not have a contract with an agent?

Gary Kessler

Re: Contract?

No, it's not uncommon not to have a contract, and there are several on this board who swear by not needing a contract. I'm not one of those. This is a business arrangement, and if you want your rights protected, you will have them protected with a written and signed contract.

Laurence

Until the agent sells your book, you've got nothing to worry about. It might even work better that way; if you need to part ways with the agent, you can do so with a mere phone call or email.

But the moment anybody starts talking about money or signatures, that's when you want everything in writing.

Javajoan

My agent contract is very, very basic. Most of the language in my contract is there to protect them, that is, that they have 15% of my royalties till the sun blows-up. It's nice to have it because it makes me feel official, but that's about it--other than that, it doesn't do much for me. Now the PUBLISHING contract is where you should focus your anxieties.

Jordie

My agent and I have a handshake agreement. She's been in the business for years and years and years, and the thought that she would stiff anyone is laughable. So I'm fine with that, although she offered a contract, if I wanted one.

Jeff

Congratulations on finding an agent. Big step. If you have a good relationship with your agent and it's a well-established, reputable agency, a contract probably isn't that important until your book is sold. My agent didn't care whether or not we had a contract until then.

Hazel

Thanks all. I wasnt too worried, just wanted to make sure.
    I look forward to the anxieties of a publishing contract.

Wonky

Some agents will give you a contract if you want it. They all have different policies.

Caleb

Hazel: Some writers, as Gary says, find they have no problems without a contract, but I'd agree with Gary too on advising you to get one and read it carefully before signing.