HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    A different Gary

S. Lipskar from Writer's House

Simon Lipskar from Writer's House wants an exclusive; I don't know about the rest of you but I think he's a fantastic agent. Only issue is, I can't give it to him. Other agent's already have partials. Is it best to send him an e-mail letting him know and asking if she still wants it, or just mention it in the snail mail package I send him?

pamC

Re: S. Lipskar from Writer's House

Send it, and just mention it in the cover letter. Otherwise, if you e-mail him, he will likely say forget it. Read that somewhere in an interview he gave.

That's what I'd do. You're being honest, but also if the material arrives in his office, natural curiosity might make him take a peek.

Plus, if you get an offer, you can always call and give him the heads up.

Good Luck,
    PamC

Olenska

Different Gary, do exactly as Pam says! Believe me, he will read it if it's there.

Ron

Send it

Karen Dionne

Actually, if other agents are only reading partials, you can give Lipskar an exclusive on a full manuscript, assuming that's what he's asking for. If he wants an exclusive on a partial (as a few agents do), even the authors I know who don't mind exclusives consider an exclusive on a partial far too restrictive.

Karen

Heatherf

In addition to sending it and mentioning that you cannot grant an exclusive, as other agents are looking, I would promise him that I wouldn't sign with another agent without first contacting him (that is an exclusive of sorts and makes him feel that he is not wasting his time).
    My two cents.

Taobene

<trying not to rain on the parade... but>

Simon Lipskar (and Writer's House in general) requests an exclusive as a matter of policy.

So the "exclusive" request in this instance doesn't mean as much as it might with other agents. Just FYI.

-- from experience, and from tidbits from other writers... --