HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    scribbler2

Re: You'd rather not...

Har! Yes, Ed, you're right. But to use the cliche, great minds think alike.

Moron

Diff Gary, I agree with what everyone has said about naming names. There are too many variables. But, if you have questions about specific agents, then post their name and your question on the board. Most posters with experience with the agent will respond to you, and if you leave an e-mail address, many of the ones who won't respond on the board might respond privately.

Georgie

Moron: Whyyyy?? That mismomer gets me every time.

I completely agree. No doubt *some* may want to give you what they might consider to be a helpful "heads up" about a specific agent they've dealt with( good or perhaps not-so-good), in a private message off-board. Leaving an email address would enable this.

Georgie

Moron

Georgie

haha! Sorry, Georgie :-D It was originally a joke in dealing with she-who-must-not-be-named, but then I grew fond of it, and if I switch now I'll just confuse people, so, there ya go.

Georgie

And of course, that was "misnomer" not "mismomer." :-)

Georgie

Okey-dokey

By all means then. I love ya just that way you are!

Georgie

Lois

Diff Gary -- Some agents I hated turned out to be fabulous agents for others and vice versa. That's a personality thing. If the agent begins to act in an unprofessional manner, then you can report that person to P&E, and if that pattern occurs with enough writers, the agent will receive a NOT RECOMMENDED. I'd study P&E every time I even considered an agent.

If an agent is honest, shows a true desire to sell your work (hey -- the woman/man wants to make money!) then I'd consider the agent okay. Unless you have a personality clash -- which we all do in our business dealings. And a writer-agent relationship is no different.

Good luck hunting!

Lois

Jennifer Lyon

In 1997, I sent my manuscript to an agent who called me and offered representation. Even during this first phone comversation, I was a bit suspicious. When I asked which specific publishers/editors might be interested in a book like mine, his answer was very vague. I came away with the impression that he didn't really know the business. A few days later, I received a contract in the mail. The agent didn't mention this over the phone, but he charged each client a $300-$600 "submission fee" to cover copying, postage, etc. FOR EACH TIME HE SUBMITTED A MANUSCRIPT TO AN EDITOR! (This agency was listed as "non-fee charging" in the Guide to Literary Agents, BTW.) I turned him down. His agency is Not Recommended on P&E, so I see no reason to mention his name. But at the time, there was no P&E so I was pretty much on my own.

Brady Boyd

Is it safe to say that I wouldn't want Melanie Mills as an agent?

Brady Boyd

Wonky

Brady, you can have Mills as an agent if you aren't too attached to your cash and never want to actually be published!